A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

HELP... cam timing adjuster problem...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 12:46 PM
Bx3
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP... cam timing adjuster problem...

I am replacing the cam timing adjuster on my 2000 4.2 A6. The issue was first noticed when I went to start my car and a horrible rattle accompanied by a noticeable misfire . I shut the motor down and after pulling the V-covers noticed that the passenger side cam timing adjuster ramps had come apart. I pulled three pieces of the ramps but have to get the adjuster out before I can be sure I have all the pieces to the puzzle...

Now for the issue at hand. I have all the parts gathered...finally.. and am ready to start the R&R. I want to get everything to TDC and get the locking bar on just to double check the cam timing before disassembly. The PROBLEM is that I can't get the motor to rotate the last 270 degrees... I pulled the spark plugs and was able to easily rotate the first full 360 + about 90 and then it hits a hard stop, I can't rotate it any further. Am I missing something?

I am freaking out a bit, is it possible that my cam chain jumped and I'm hitting a valve? Would I be able to freely rotate the motor 450 degrees before noticing a bent valve?... or is there a piece of the ramp lodged somewhere? Help Mr. Wizard!
Old 03-28-2010, 03:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

hey i have been having trouble with my car, i am almost sure it has to do with the cam position or timing belt or something, it makes this really loud rattle sometimes, and seems to have reduced power, but the rattle will just completely go away like instantly and will have full power back and everything.

could this be my cam timing adjuster?

and other suggestion on what it could be?

engile is a 2.8l v6
Old 03-28-2010, 04:17 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Please tell me that you aren't rotating the crank without the timing belt on.

If not, the engine is stopping because one of the pistons is hitting some valves. You will probably be buying a few valves soon.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:18 PM
Tech Guru

Codes?
Old 03-29-2010, 11:47 AM
Bx3
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Please tell me that you aren't rotating the crank without the timing belt on.

If not, the engine is stopping because one of the pistons is hitting some valves. You will probably be buying a few valves soon.

No belt is on and it is now rotating freely... I back it up about 25degrees and then tried it again it is now rotating fine.

Next question: given that the TB timing was set correctly prior to the Cam Chain adjuster failure, I am ASSuming that the exhaust cam timing is correct, I am now concerned that the intake cam timing off. It turns out that both top and bottom ramps on the adjuster failed which created a lot of slop in the chain. I'm pretty certain that the intake cam is now out of timing in relation to the exhaust cam. How do I reset this???
Old 03-29-2010, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

this is why you dont do work on your car unless you know how, sorry to say this, but deffinantly NOT something i would want to "learn" on my own car. i remember back in the day when i worked at the dealership, we HATED to do TBs, because the littlest things can Eff up a motor quick. IMHO id have it towed to a shop dude, do you even have the bentely manual? if not starting this job without it was moronic
Old 03-29-2010, 12:12 PM
Bx3
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 2.7Lturbo
this is why you dont do work on your car unless you know how, sorry to say this, but deffinantly NOT something i would want to "learn" on my own car. i remember back in the day when i worked at the dealership, we HATED to do TBs, because the littlest things can Eff up a motor quick. IMHO id have it towed to a shop dude, do you even have the bentely manual? if not starting this job without it was moronic
Yes, I have the Bentley. The TB has already been replaced that wasn't the issue of this posting. The replacement of the Cam Chain Adjuster and subsequent verification/setting of the intake cam timing is the issue at hand.

Thanks for the input though.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:03 PM
Tech Guru

You can check the chain timing with the marks. Bentley should show that.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
You can check the chain timing with the marks. Bentley should show that.
right on, bentely walks you through this entire procedure. no need to create a post of ignorance
Old 04-07-2010, 10:47 AM
Bx3
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm finally getting this put back together but now am having a super difficult time getting the proper link count on the cam chain! With both intake and exhaust cams aligned with the marks on the bearing caps I can only get 15 links between them. With 16 links the intake mark moves just beyond the bearing cap mark... ( referencing from the exhaust cam which is fixed on the mark). Ihave pulled the cams multiple times but am beginning to think it is physically impossible to get 16 links + cams aligned + adjuster seated and mounted.

Am I missing something? Given that this is a variable cam timing if I get 16 links between the marks and one cam (exhaust) properly lined with the other as close as possible (I'm talking within half a link) once everything is tightened down and the adjuster released and expanded will the intake cam now come into 'proper' alignment?

I hope this makes some sense to somebody who has done this... I want to do this right.

Quick Reply: HELP... cam timing adjuster problem...