A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Help.."Check Engine"

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 05:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help.."Check Engine"

Hi guys- I got a check engine light today. Can someone tell me what these codes are for? Which code should I look at first?

The car seems to drive normal with these codes. Thanks.

Codes:

P1127
P1129
P1141
Old 06-17-2009, 02:57 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

It helps if you post the engine and the year. I found the codes using Google. Could be anything from a boost leak to a bad MAF; can't say without more info.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you for the quick reply. It is 1999 Audi A6 Avant Quattro with 2.8L engine. I noticed the smoke coming out the engine compartment and smell a little bit of oil burn too, but the temperature gauge and other gauges seems to be very normal. It seems to run and drive okay, but the idle is a little rough after the "Check Engine" light pop up. Thank you ahead for helping.
Originally Posted by 4Driver4
It helps if you post the engine and the year. I found the codes using Google. Could be anything from a boost leak to a bad MAF; can't say without more info.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:40 AM
Tech Guru

Given that information, I would suspect a vaccum leak or bad MAF.
The smoke is probably an oil leak which is probably cam adjuster seals.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks. I'll check the vacuum lines. The 2.8l engine is very tight fits. Where are most of these vacuum lines locate at? I'll try to clean the MAF with the contact or carb cleaner. A couple more questions:
1. I replaced the air filter with Frame brand a couple weeks ago. Can it be the cheap air filter? I believe that OEM filter is Mann brand.

2. The cam adjusters gaskets are replaced by a master Audi tech a couple weeks ago too. How long do it normally take to burn off all the excess oils around cam adjusters? I drive it 3 days a week to work for the last couple week.

Again, it is running fine for the last couple weeks and suddenly bam the "Check Engine" light pop up yesterday.

Given that information, I would suspect a vaccum leak or bad MAF.
The smoke is probably an oil leak which is probably cam adjuster seals.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by new04quest
Thanks. I'll check the vacuum lines. The 2.8l engine is very tight fits. Where are most of these vacuum lines locate at? I'll try to clean the MAF with the contact or carb cleaner. A couple more questions:
1. I replaced the air filter with Frame brand a couple weeks ago. Can it be the cheap air filter? I believe that OEM filter is Mann brand.

2. The cam adjusters gaskets are replaced by a master Audi tech a couple weeks ago too. How long do it normally take to burn off all the excess oils around cam adjusters? I drive it 3 days a week to work for the last couple week.

Again, it is running fine for the last couple weeks and suddenly bam the "Check Engine" light pop up yesterday.

thus is the audi/vw way of life... did oil change got CEL..... cleaned maf went away... then got idle too rich code... check all hoses and reclamped them and air box, code went away. its just part of the dance with these cars, they like to be a little mysterious to keep us intrigued
Old 06-17-2009, 01:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

That is very weird to change engine oil, and get an error. It is weirder to clean MAF, and the error goes away for an oil change.

I checked the vac hoses. It seems to be okay, but it is very brittle on the outside. I want to replace the hoses. Most of these hoses seem to be the same size. Do anyone know the part number for these hoses? It seems to be one of the hose that come in a roll and can cut to length.

I am on the way to Checker's to get the contact cleaner to clean the MAF. Thanks.
Originally Posted by 2.7Lturbo
thus is the audi/vw way of life... did oil change got CEL..... cleaned maf went away... then got idle too rich code... check all hoses and reclamped them and air box, code went away. its just part of the dance with these cars, they like to be a little mysterious to keep us intrigued
Old 06-17-2009, 03:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just cleaned the MAF, and that didn't get rid of the 'Check Engine' light. I remove the positive cable from the battery and left it off for 30 minutes. I turned on the headlight while the cable is out too. Am I properly reset error? I did the same on my Tacoma. It got rid of the "Check Engine" light error.

It is probably one of the vacuum line leak or crack. It looks very brittle. Can somebody provide the part # for the vacuum line? Thanks.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:29 PM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by new04quest
I remove the positive cable from the battery and left it off for 30 minutes.
That's a bad idea. Get a proper tool to clean the codes.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I will stop by AutoZone tomorrow to have them reset the error codes. It works on my Tacoma by removed the terminal. I cleaned the MAF, and reset it by remove the battery terminal and left out to deplete the stored power. I drive it for almost two years now, and I never have any problem with it. AutoZone told me to do the same thing.

Is the onboard computer of an Audi required a code reader to reset it?
That's a bad idea. Get a proper tool to clean the codes.

Quick Reply: Help.."Check Engine"