A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

HELP! Driver's side power locks INOP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Driver's side power locks INOP!

So I've had this issue for a while and tried fixing it today to no avail.

Here's my problem: A couple of months ago the power locks stopped working on the driver's side only. Passenger side unlocks and locks with the remote. If I have all doors closed and stick the key in the driver's door key hole, I can lock all the doors except the driver's rear door. When I turn the key to the left to unlock, I can unlock all the doors except the driver's side rear door. So at this point I have to manually push down on the locking plunger thingy for the dr rear door to lock it and manually pull the door handle from inside to unlock that same door. Now, what I can't understand is why the driver's door will lock and unlock with the key only but the rear door won't.

Today, in an attempt to find something missing/wrong I pulled out the driver's seat and pulled the carpet back to locate the control module. I found it and everyhing looked good. No moisture anywhere. I opened the big black box that houses the module and again, no moisture and the no apparent corrosion anywhere. I traced the wires along the driver's side frame sill and all look to be good.

What can be causing this? Does my module need to be replaced? Do they go bad that often? Is it something related specifically to the driver's side rear door only?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:43 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

VAG-COM is your friend. Start by checking all the functions and switches.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE****

Today I FINALLY got around to fixing my passenger side door lock problem. I replaced the lock actuator (door latch) with an aftermarket one I found for about $33. Works like a champ and all is well in the universe again.

The toughest part of the job was removing and then re-inserting the rod that attaches to the door handle and also removing the weather stripping. It seems like the weather stripping is installed using plastic rivets and on my old 14 year old car they broke off...so my weather stripping kinda hangs there. Oh well.