A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Help me place a value on 3 extra years of CPO warranty.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 03:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me place a value on 3 extra years of CPO warranty.....

Hi guys -

First time I've posted here, though I've looked through the forums a number of times, as I'm in the market for a used A6 2.7T and hope to be picking one up in the next few weeks -- fingers crossed.

I'm right now comparing two A6's: one with 2 years of CPO warranty remaining and one with 5 years remaining (also CPO). The one with 2 yrs is a 2002 with about 45K on it. The other is a 2004 with about 20K. Both warranties go to 100K.

My question is, assuming I use up the time remaining on each rather than hitting the 100K mile limit, how much do you think the extra 3 years of CPO warranty coverage is worth? I will try to look through the archives some tonight on this as well, but I wanted to throw it out there because it's a pretty broad question. Having not owned an Audi before, I know that repairs can be expensive but I'm not sure how many $thousand per year a warranty is generally worth, as these cars get to 60K, 70K, 80K, 90K, 100K miles. I'm sure turbos aren't cheap, and I seem to remember seeing figures like $2,500 in the archives somewhere. But what about other items? Audis seem to have a dodgey rep for electrical systems reliability, but my guess is the big stuff (engine, transmission, etc.) lasts a long time if taken care of.

If anyone can give me a general sense and/or opinion on how much they think a 5 year CPO warranty is worth (on an an A6 2.7T with 20K miles) vs. a 2 year CPO (on one with over 40K miles) it would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Mike
Old 10-27-2005, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default depends on how long you want to keep the car. on a 2.7t you want a warenty...

turbos can = problematic
Old 10-27-2005, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 2-3K

get a biggie likes transmission or turbos and it pays for itself rather quickly.

I wouldn't bet on low repair costs.

Whatever you do, I'd get a warranty for as long as possible, or for how long you think you'd keep the car.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Do you do your own work, or rely on a mechanic? What are your driving habits?

It's not really an extra 3 years of CPO. It's 3 years of the original Audi Advantage warranty. Which can be worth quite a bit.

The original warranty also covers all scheduled maintenance and unscheduled repairs. The CPO warranty will not cover scheduled maintenance nor wear and tear items -- such as things like control arms, tie rod ends, CV boots, brakes, etc. (Before people start saying "I got that covered... we're talking in general, here.)

At 45k, if it's to be a daily driver, you might be looking at bearing these costs in the next year or so. Depends a bit on luck.

With the 20k car, you're free and clear for 3 more years.

The difference is less significant if it will be a weekend car.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:56 PM

Default Based on my poor experience with the CPO warranty,

I'd go for a reputable third-party warranty (AAA for example). Then you can find a reasonably priced independant to do your maintanence rather than having to go to the stealership.

But to put a value on it, my CPO has saved me $3600 the last 12 months. But maintenance at the dealer etc has cost me another $3600 that would have been considerably cheaper at an independant.

Also the dealer has proved incompetent. I can prove that my car was left in a dangerous state twice, both related to suspension work done wrongly.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yea...if youre willing to get dirty things can be a lot cheaper...

ie i did my own oxygen sensors (x2) and it saved me close to $600 in mechanic bills
Old 10-27-2005, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Simple answer: Don't own a 2.7T without a warranty. I speak from VAST experience. (3-2.7Ts)
Old 10-27-2005, 04:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Simple answer: Don't own a 2.7T without a warranty. I speak from VAST experience. (3-2.7Ts)

As far as having the car covered by *something*, would you differentiate much between a CPO warranty (after 50K) and a third-party service agreement (after 50K)?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 10-27-2005, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That's a tough question, it depends on what breaks. Without a doubt the 20k car would be the one

to jump on as you have about 3 years (depends on the in service date) and 30k miles of full warranty AND service! That in itself could be worth about $3-$4K, counting the 30k,40k and 50k service vists. It's also possible that the 45k car has had everything done to it anyway, so it might not be worth anything in the long run.

IMHO always buy the lowest mileage car!

Make sure you ask to check the service records of both cars, this might help you make your decsion.

These are awesome cars, so good luck on your choice!
Old 10-27-2005, 05:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: 2-3K

I think I would keep the car quite a while - I tend to buy and hold when it comes to autos....but the difference in price between these two cars is around $8K-$9K. Quite a hefty premium for the 2004 (20K miles on the odometer, covered until 2010/100K) and the 2002 (45K on the odometer, covered until mid 2007/100K). Just hard to weigh it, given that I know Audi repairs can be quite high. Turbos for example.. if the 2002 runs out of warranty and they the turbos go, how much are we talking $$$ ?

Quick Reply: Help me place a value on 3 extra years of CPO warranty.....