A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

HELP! Timing Troubles!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 12:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Timing Troubles!

I did my timing last night because the cams were out. I adjusted them as necessary but am still getting misfires. Could anyone please give me an idea of what might have went wrong? It looks like, at worst, I may have been off by one tooth on one cam but if that were the case I would think the car would still at least idle...it just wants to stall as soon as I don't give it gas.

Name:  2011-03-20_19-12-53_239.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  57.6 KB
The old

The new...and I did make sure that the crankshaft marks were lined up for TDC.

Please any ideas would be much appreciated! I need my car!
Old 03-21-2011, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

did you disconnect and vacuum lines?
Old 03-21-2011, 01:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

As long as the marks match up on the crank shaft pulley I am at TDC...correct? Or do I need to turn the crank shaft and use a long screwdriver in the spark plug socket to find TDC of cylinder 3? Could somebody give me some help...this is my first timing job and I already made a mistake somewhere...luckily no damage was done.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 2.7Lturbo
did you disconnect and vacuum lines?
Yes, but I double checked my vacuum lines for reconnection...I don't think vacuum lines would cause the type of misfiring I am getting. Thank you for your idea though...I'm considering anything at this point.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TDC is found when the crank is locked by the Audi crank locking pin tool and the two bigger holes on the cams are closest to eachother. The TDC mark can leave a small margin of error, but the tool will not. Cams are also set using the camlock bar, not by teeth on the sprockets. If you are not 100% sure yours are right then get the tools and check/adjust.

You could also have a TB that needs adaption. For DBW cars this is done by turning on the key, w/o starting, and just letting it sit there for a few minutes. You will hear motors running and clicking noises. For cable throttles then a VAG com is necessary.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 5v/cyl
Cams are also set using the camlock bar, not by teeth on the sprockets.
I used this as a way to describe how far off my timing way. When you adjust the timing, you can't adjust by less or more than intervals of one tooth. I understand what the cam locking bar does but I was able to accomplish the same task without it. I am recalibrating my TB now, thank you for the reminder as I did forget to do that. Such a basic task that I completely overlooked it after doing the timing. If calibrating the TB doesn't solve my problem then I will take some detailed pictures of my setup. I do thank all for any responses.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

have you checked compression for bent valves? if that top pic is where teh came were when you removed the belt then you bent valves!

and without the tools you CAN'T be sure the timing is set, you can easily be off a few degrees, with the cam bar you loosen the pulleys so they move on the cam then tighten the belt. it has been covered here 100x doing it without the cam bar will get you close but only close, your timing is not right!
Old 03-21-2011, 06:19 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Nice pics, but where is the cam locking bar? How did you set the timing? What codes are you seeing? How old is the coolant temp sensor? What do the plugs look like?
Old 03-21-2011, 06:22 PM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by jcrampton
When you adjust the timing, you can't adjust by less or more than intervals of one tooth.
This is utter and complete bull****. Timing is completely adjustable, which is why you need the tools. Get the tools, set the timing, do a leak down test.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:23 PM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
This is utter and complete bull****.
WTF happened to my ****ing post? Where are the rest of my letters? Really AW? How far you have fallen. :-(

Quick Reply: HELP! Timing Troubles!