A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

HELP! Timing Troubles!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 04:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
This is utter and complete bull****. Timing is completely adjustable, which is why you need the tools. Get the tools, set the timing, do a leak down test.
No need to be rude about it. And I am aware that you can adjust the timing in a more precise manner other than just tooth by tooth. But if your lobes are still at factory setting in relation to the camshafts then why would you want to adjust by anything more precise than the teeth on the belt, no need. I do appreciate any help but I am asking for help in completing this job in a certain way. I am aware there are tools but do not feel they are necessary. I keep an open mind on all possibilities as opposed to just say "get the tools"...if anything I would fabricate a tool before I paid $100 for a bent bar of steel with two bolt holes.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

How much is your time worth? The correct tools and it would've been finished by now. Hopefully you didn't bend any valves, because you will be spending more than $100
Old 03-22-2011, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

the pulleys are not keyed to the cam! so you do not know if they are in factory position, They can and will slip over time,and even if not... the factory position would only be good for the original new factory belt. when you tighten the belt the cam pulley needs to rotate on the cam to set the correct tension, if not you will be off even more. but like I said you can do without and be in the ball park and for some people this is good enough but don't even think your timing will be right!!! I did it for years like this until I used the tools 1 time and realized how off I had been.

but for now first step is check compression, my guess is you bent a valve or 2, so no sense going any further until you confirm valves are good or bad.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:34 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by jcrampton
But if your lobes are still at factory setting in relation to the camshafts then why would you want to adjust by anything more precise than the teeth on the belt, no need.
Sorry to hurt your feeling, but this is also complete BS. If you change anything or if the belt wears, timing is off. Your opinions are not relevant. It's not about feelings, it's basic math and logic.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Sorry to hurt your feeling, but this is also complete BS. If you change anything or if the belt wears, timing is off. Your opinions are not relevant. It's not about feelings, it's basic math and logic.
LOL!! No my feelings are not hurt. I just think you are ignorant and your math and logic are not based on math and logic...if the belt wore, how would that cause the lobes on the camshaft gear to move from their original settings? It wouldn't...nor would someone changing anything unless they specifically untightened the bolts that were holding the camshaft assembly together. If the belt wore then the only aspect of timing that would or could be off is the timing between the cams and the crank. In which case it would be easiest (and still accurate) to adjust by teeth. You need to brush up on your "math and logic" because they are poor!
Old 03-22-2011, 04:24 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

how would that cause the lobes on the camshaft gear to move from their original settings? It wouldn't...nor would someone changing anything unless they specifically untightened the bolts that were holding the camshaft assembly together. If the belt wore then the only aspect of timing that would or could be off is the timing between the cams and the crank. In which case it would be easiest (and still accurate) to adjust by teeth. You need to brush up on your "math and logic" because they are poor!
Arrogant, maybe. But ignorant, no.

Your own statements are contradictory.

If the belt wore then the only aspect of timing that would or could be off is the timing between the cams and the crank.
Yes.

how would that cause the lobes on the camshaft gear to move from their original settings?
Um, the cam lobes are connected to the cam shaft. The exhaust cams are connected directly to the cam sprockets. If the timing is off between the cams and the crank, the lobes would also be off.

Again:
You clearly do not understand the design and functionality. You have three people here telling you that the tools are necessary because cam sprockets are not keyed to the cams and timing parts and installations are not identical...yet you persist in your "belief."

At the end of the day, I have done dozens of timing belts. I have yet to have any problems. You have a problem.

Stick by your guns and fight those who are offering you good advice. Enjoy.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

glad i sat this one out.... what a tard.

cam lock bar is a MUST for this .... period. could have bought the kit from blau and rented the tools for 30 bucks and been back on the road, instead you tell us we dont know what we are doing, yet YOU are the one with a car not working.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default If your looking for advise, your answers are already here.

LOL!! No my feelings are not hurt. I just think you are ignorant and your math and logic are not based on math and logic...if the belt wore, how would that cause the lobes on the camshaft gear to move from their original settings? It wouldn't...nor would someone changing anything unless they specifically untightened the bolts that were holding the camshaft assembly together. If the belt wore then the only aspect of timing that would or could be off is the timing between the cams and the crank. In which case it would be easiest (and still accurate) to adjust by teeth. You need to brush up on your "math and logic" because they are poor!

You need the cam lock bar tool in position and crank locked in position with the cam belt sprockets loose then you pre-load the belt, period.
Why would you challenge members who have posting for years about this when they are trying to HELP YOU? These guys have shared a ton of info that should be deemed valuable and as a newer member you should keep your tone in a higher ground, this is good advise also.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 2.7Lturbo
glad i sat this one out.... what a tard.

cam lock bar is a MUST for this .... period. could have bought the kit from blau and rented the tools for 30 bucks and been back on the road, instead you tell us we dont know what we are doing, yet YOU are the one with a car not working.
Well, im glad that you 3 are in agreement that the cam lock tool is a must for this job, especially since there have been a number of people who have accomplished this job without it. Including myself now. Aside from my timing being out, I also had a bad coil pack. Replaced, car runs great...period, idiot. I'm glad you guys seem to know what your talking about. Bunch of ignorant know it alls here that really don't know ****.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

wow dude you really are a piece of ****.... and if you knew what you were doing why was the timing off in the first place? thats what i thought loser

Quick Reply: HELP! Timing Troubles!