A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

HELP! Timing Troubles!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 10:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2.7Lturbo
wow dude you really are a piece of ****.... and if you knew what you were doing why was the timing off in the first place? thats what i thought loser
Yup...my timing was out because I didn't know what I was doing...that almost makes sense. Ever hear of wear and tear? this was scheduled maintenance. You seem smart...haha
Old 03-23-2011, 02:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You guys are being way too kind. You should have offered your advice only once, yawned when he ignored it, and then sat back and watched. His posts #11-20 would contain similar debate about the pointlessness of timing-off trouble codes, #21-30 bent valve pictures and guilt trips about how we all should have warned him, and #31-100 similar arguments with potential buyers in his parts car sale ad.

There is a clear explanation here. OP is so accustomed to working on his mountain bike, which was equipped with niceties like a derailleur and a ratcheting hub to all but guarantee correct crank timing and tension, that he can't fathom the Audi engineers designing something that would allow him to get himself in trouble.

OP, if only you knew how badly dealerships are hurting for competent technicians. With your superior intellect, uncanny mechanical ability, outside-the-box thinking, and contempt for anyone who advises you, you'll certainly make a handsome living knocking out timing belt jobs in 3/4 the time it takes everyone else.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:54 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by jcrampton
Yup...my timing was out because I didn't know what I was doing...that almost makes sense.
I would bet my paycheck that the tools would prove that your timing is still not set correctly. Getting the car back together so that the timing is close enough so that the car runs is often different that getting the timing right. You are letting your ego blind you. Everyone who has responded to this post has tried to explain that the timing is infinitely adjustable. You refuse to be educated.

Your mentality of ignoring or refusing to listen to fact and hiding behind "belief" is frustrating for all of us.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Redneck Truck
You guys are being way too kind. You should have offered your advice only once, yawned when he ignored it, and then sat back and watched. His posts #11-20 would contain similar debate about the pointlessness of timing-off trouble codes, #21-30 bent valve pictures and guilt trips about how we all should have warned him, and #31-100 similar arguments with potential buyers in his parts car sale ad.

There is a clear explanation here. OP is so accustomed to working on his mountain bike, which was equipped with niceties like a derailleur and a ratcheting hub to all but guarantee correct crank timing and tension, that he can't fathom the Audi engineers designing something that would allow him to get himself in trouble.

OP, if only you knew how badly dealerships are hurting for competent technicians. With your superior intellect, uncanny mechanical ability, outside-the-box thinking, and contempt for anyone who advises you, you'll certainly make a handsome living knocking out timing belt jobs in 3/4 the time it takes everyone else.
haha that made me laugh

OP you seriously can suck my hairy sweaty nut sack as far as this is concerned. having performed more timing belt jobs on vw/audis that i can count on all my appendages i think i know what im doing

as far as not "needing" the tool, do you not NEED a torque wrench when putting your tires on too? how about reassembling a head? i bet you would reuse the headbolts as well
Old 03-23-2011, 09:26 AM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by Redneck Truck
You guys are being way too kind. You should have offered your advice only once, yawned when he ignored it, and then sat back and watched.

LOL.

In all seriousness, I try to fight these posts to the death. On the odd chance that someone actually searches the archives (something that doesn't seem to happen anymore) and finds this post, I want to make sure the right info is here. The OP claims that tool use is an "opinion". It isn't.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I agree with 4driver4,
he got mad because he didn't listen to the advice but he got it to run so his conclusion is we are idiots,
we all did ask other questions as well. I know I wanted to know if the car had compression. I know the car will run with the timing being off, but depending how off it is will depend if valves are or were bent. Luckly he didn't bend valves, and if he would have gotten back stating the car had compression on all cyls other suggestions would have been given. BUT still the fact remains that the car will run much better if the tools were used!

OOH and just for kicks anyone can go back and search my posts from probably 4 years ago and see that I once fought this issue, I thought It was just fine with no tools, you can probably even find the post when I bought my tools and retimed my car(this was about 2 or 3 years ago), ever since that day I was a believer you need the tools. the car was a 98 A6 which ran fine but smoothed out and MPG went up after I retimed with the proper tools.

Last edited by jschick; 03-23-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:14 AM
Tech Guru

Here's an oldie from me...

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=1706214
Old 03-23-2011, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've got a buddy who frequently reuses head gaskets and bolts when he pulls heads on his navistars and powerstrokes. doesn't mean it's a good idea; just means he doesn't mind doing the work and buying the parts twice.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

i understand if your in a lurch to reuse those parts.... but it is not the best practice nor is it a long term solution
Old 03-28-2011, 01:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I bought the stupid tool JUST to prove a point...I will make a video of what I did vs the tool method. I just received the tool and am annoyed that I even bought the thing...who the **** told me that the cams weren't keyed to the lobes?!?! This is the main reason that I even was willing to give the tool a chance BUT come to find out that the tool pins into the lobes...WOW. Which also means that the timing IS NOT infinitely adjustable (not with this tool anyway). It goes by teeth since the keyed slots will always be in the same relation to the cam gears. You can also verify that your timing is on by hand cranking the engine twice and double check that the big holes on the external lobes still face each other. Furthermore, you can also look at your internal cam lobes and verify that cylinder no. 2 exhaust is fully depressed. I think what happened here was that one person shot his mouth off, another idiot agreed and then the band wagon picked up the rest of idiots. If need be I would be more than happy to post a video of proof of my timing being DEAD ON. A waste of money for this stupid tool. Also, letting the cams snap loose doesn't have much possibility of having enough power to bend the valves (not 100 percent on this but more so speculation (just as most of your opinions). You can check your valves by hand cranking the engine and listening for the compression and decompression as each valve is depressed. It is my belief that the place has many low IQ people on site.

Quick Reply: HELP! Timing Troubles!