A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

HELP! Timing Troubles!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What an eye opener. Send your cam lock tool and crank lock pin to me and I'll get rid of them for you.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow OP you are certainly a tool. First off no one here said the lobes weren't keyed to the cams. They stated (correctly) that the cams weren't keyed to the gears. Secondly, you came here asking for help and acted like an *** when you didn't hear what you wanted. It sounds like a honda civic with a triple wing, mismatched/broken ground effect kit, stick on ram air scoop, and a fart can muffler is would be more your maturity level. Shoot forgot to mention neons underneath the car.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:53 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by jcrampton
who the **** told me that the cams weren't keyed to the lobes?!?!
Looking over this post, I can see that no one did. What everyone said is that the cam sprockets are not keyed to the cam shafts.

Which also means that the timing IS NOT infinitely adjustable (not with this tool anyway). It goes by teeth since the keyed slots will always be in the same relation to the cam gears.
No. The cam alignment plates (I think you are referring to them as "lobes") are keyed to the shafts, not the sprockets. The plate and tool lock the cam in place, and the sprocket is allowed to spin to set timing. Timing *is* infinitely adjustable.

You can also verify that your timing is on by hand cranking the engine twice and double check that the big holes on the external lobes still face each other. Furthermore, you can also look at your internal cam lobes and verify that cylinder no. 2 exhaust is fully depressed.
You have incredible eyesight. I can see when it's close enough to run, but you can tell when it is dead on? Amazing.

I think what happened here was that one person shot his mouth off, another idiot agreed and then the band wagon picked up the rest of idiots.
I agree with the first part, but I don't think anyone has jumped on your bandwagon.

It is my belief that the place has many low IQ people on site.
You have proven that with this post.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

As I said...I will make a video, my work will speak for itself...and yes I have good eyeing ability, I deal with tight tolerences everyday. I can clearly see when a cam shaft lobe is fully depressing a lifter...not very hard. My cars runs, I did not need the tool, and I would be able to repeat my process at will. I don't understand the arguement. But its my thought process that allows me to prosper over jokers such as yourselves. I post a link to my video when I get around to it.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

As I said...I will make a video, my work will speak for itself...and yes I have good eyeing ability, I deal with tight tolerences everyday. I can clearly see when a cam shaft lobe is fully depressing a lifter...not very hard. My cars runs, I did not need the tool, and I would be able to repeat my process at will. I don't understand the arguement. But its my thought process that allows me to prosper over jokers such as yourselves. I post a link to my video when I get around to it.
Hate to burst your bubble but you can't degree a cam by eye. I'll agree you can eye when a lifter is fully depressed but not the degree in the arc of rotation. I can rebuild a motor as well as anyone I've met (I too did my 2.7's timing belt without the cam bar/crank pin) but that doesn't make me perfect as you seem to be so I will continue to be one of the jokers who don't know anything and should bow down before you and your awesomeness.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:46 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

I don't understand the arguement.
Clearly.

I wish you were local to me. If I showed you how easy it is to do it right, you would laugh.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Clearly.

I wish you were local to me. If I showed you how easy it is to do it right, you would laugh.
Oh, I would agree with you the the right way is easier and more accurate for the average person (myself as well but I don't feel that the .001 or .002 thousandths that I may be off is that severely detrimental) but my issue is that I am on a tight budget. I bought the tool to make sure that I was dead on since all of you guys has suggested so. I was not trying to be a dick more so than a person who needed something done on a budget and has accomplished such.