A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Hi. I need to share an issue with 1999 A6 (Tiptronic) and need your kind advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi. I need to share an issue with 1999 A6 (Tiptronic) and need your kind advice

Hello,

I am experiencing an issue with my 1999 Audi A6, 2.8 Quattro and will
like to share it with Audi community.

Case: I decided to bring car to dealership in Northern CA so that Tiptronic problem with vehicle could get fixed. Actually -besides Tiptronic malfunctioning the normal shifting was not happening either. It happens that when going from P to Reverse and then to
Drive car will give a "hard kick back" bounce and vehicle will remain as if
in high gear (RPM meter goes way high when moving card at slow speed). Car would not normally go from 1st to 2nd and so on but will be stuck at high shift right from the beginning.

So I took car to nearest Audi dealership for repair. Technician said that Multi Function Switch was the cause of problem and so they changed it and obviously charged me for
it. Fix lasted only a few hours. Car failed again and so I contacted dealer one more time. Dealership people found it hard to believe and asked me to bring car back for a second checkout. The second time they replaced same multi function circuit, tested the car and called me back to pick it up. This second time car only lasted two days and failed again for same thing. The issue now is that dealership is asking me to bring car somewhere else as they are not capable to fix this problem....I have spoken with a couple of Audi technicians and they feel Audi dealership needs to address this issue and they should be capable enough to repair car.

I have contacted Audi office in USA and their advice is to talk to dealership.

Has anyone in our Audi community also gone thru the same experience? I will like to know what others have done in same or similar circumstances.

I will appreciate your comments,

Best Rgds,

Aldo Chavez
Old 08-11-2003, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I have had the same problem, i feel your pain

First of all let me start by just saying that Audi Dealers suck, and Audi of america should really look into fixing the service problems with there dealers. So here is the lowdown, my car went into what is called a fail safe mode for the transmission. You know this by all the tranmission numbers being lit up at the same time, P R D 4 3 2 all lit up. When you put the car into reverse it jerks really hard. By the way i have the same car 99 A6 Quattro with Tiptronic. I took the car to the dealership and they told me it would take some time to fix the problem, i would have to leave the car there for a couple of days. I said no, i took it another dealer who told me the same story , but luckily for me there was a very nice tech who hooked up the computer to the car and erased the fail safe mode. But he did say that if it returned that they would have to change the multifunction switch, that the switch might be the problem. That was about 2 months ago. For some reason Audi dealers seem to not know what there are doing sometimes. But overall the quality of service that i have recieved at Audi dealerships has been less than satisfactory. Honestly i could on and on about the problems that i have had with my car and trying to get it fixed at the dealership. If you did'nt buy your car from that dealership that you want work done, you get treated like ****. If you do not have an AUDI Assured Warranty god help you. Now they are some people that say that they love their Audi so much that they can put up something going wrong every other day with the car, and they have Audi Assured so it is no concern. But really people, should a car that is only 4 years old be this unreliable. I have spent over $10,000 on reapirs and i have only have my audi for 10 Months. I had a lexus for 4 years and never heard a peep. I was under the impression that getting an audi would be a step up, i should have stuck with lexus, or went with a BMW like i wanted. Now don't get me wrong i love the car, but i love my uncle's 540i took, and that gives no problems. Now i have gone to his (Manhattan BMW) dealership for an oil change(to his car- the 540i), i taught i was getting an engine change, they treated me like a king. The same day they were backed up, they service consultant said hey, we are a little busy today, take this 745I and we will call you when your car is ready. Now that is service. I went to the audi dealership, they said listen you are gonna have to wait till tommorrow or something, and wanted to offer some rental car from enterprise or hertz. Listen if i were you, let the dealer that you paid fix the problem. Then Sell, get yourself a Bimmer, when that new 5 comes out go see the bmw dealer.
Old 08-11-2003, 10:50 AM

Default Sounds like you're starting to get the run-around to me.

So, you bring it to the same dealership twice w/ an unsuccessful repair. They tell you to bring it to another dealership. You're concerned, so you notify AudiUSA.com (AoA) and they give you the run-around and tell you to talk to a dealership again.

I would do this...

1) Try another dealership to fix the same problem and notify them on which dealership "tried" to fix it twice w/ no success.

2) Notify AudiUSA.com (AoA) again and let them know that if this 2nd dealership doesn't fix the problem, you'll open a case/file a complaint on this situation because it's the 3RD TRY for the same problem! This situation may be considered under the Lemon-Law.

HTH.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default According to what I read here on AudiWorld a few months ago

Audi of America is in the process of fixing the service problems with their dealers. They are doing this by shutting down scumbag Audi dealers either permanently or until they can find significantly smarter and significantly more customer oriented owners and employees in all departments. BTW, according to what I read in an article a few months ago, with a scarce few exceptions, the new A8's electrical and mechanical systems as well as their software and hardware are from the same supplier as the new BMW 7 Series. Eventually, with a few scarce exceptions, all comparable BMW and Audi models' electrical and mechancal systems and their hardware and software will be from the same supplier and will be mostly the same (other than maybe a few different engine and transmission choices) for each model. This is to equally improve the total performance, safety, quality, mechanical and electrical reliability substantially throughout both the BMW and Audi lineups. FYI, BMW's, MBs and Audi's quality, reliability, overall dealer service and overall customer treatment are equally mixed. That is, if BMW Roadfly, MBWorld and AudiWorld are any indication. Plus, buying the new 5 Series and suggesting others on here to do the same is nowhere near guaranteed to solve the problems that you or anyone else has with their Audis. Oh, the reason BMW scored so well in JD and CR is only because the 5 Series recent popularity and substantially improved quality over the years. Otherwise, BMW would have scored just as bad as Audi and Mercedes with JD and CR. Or, BMW would simply not have scored as well with JD and CR as they (BMW) recently have. Just my $0.02.
Old 08-11-2003, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I don't want to start a big, long debate or flame session here, but...

...your statement, "First of all let me start by just saying that Audi Dealers suck" is both inaccurate and irresponsible. While no one can deny that you've had more than your share of bad experiences, it is an absolute fact that many people here (myself included) have had great ones. Still, it would be no more appropriate to claim that all Audi dealerships are great than it is to blanketly damn them all.

Something else to consider: Your postings (past and present) make no mention of your car's history, other than that it's now nearly 5 years old and that you've owned it for but 10 months. How much do you know about how it was treated by its previous owner(s)? I ask because its current behavior is <i>at least </i>as reflective of how it's been treated since new as it is of overall engineering and reliability. Just food for thought.
Old 08-11-2003, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I and many other AW members have been telling Stevial many of the same things

But he still does not get it. Apparently he is very stubborn and/or judgmental. Or, he insists on focusing on the negative and very little on the positive. That is totally pathetic on Stevial's part. Also, I am beginning to think that Stevial is very remedial.
Old 08-11-2003, 01:23 PM

Default When does the problem keep recurring? Does it go into limp mode when it happens? There are similar

problems with early Passat (98 and later, same engine and tranny). Could be the MF switch or you may need new tranny. Does it happen when under light or hard/aggresive driving? Is the car fully loaded when it happened?
Old 08-11-2003, 01:24 PM
Craggy Old Man

Default My service people have been champs,

The car itself ran into problems right from the start( car seems to be a hypochondriac, every time someone would mentions something on the board, presto my car got it!! : ))), but the dealer was fantastic. If it were not for the service people and the tech who does the work, it would have been a miserable experience.
Old 08-11-2003, 03:54 PM

Default Love your website

and the information given. The zender spoiler looks impressive. Is that stuck on or bolted. Will check our your link. Thank you.
Old 08-11-2003, 07:33 PM

Default Thanks for checking it out! The Zender spoiler...

Is glued on. It's a black, tar-like glue (best description I could think of). I was a little nervous about installing it at first because of the glue all over the spoiler and trunk, but it turned out well.

I'll update the pics when I get the aluminum rings for the gauges and Momo shift **** installed. They're supposed to be "easy" to install, but I'm not technically-inclined. We'll see.

Anyway, thanks again for the compliment. Now, if I could just convince my wife to let me change rims to HREs...

Quick Reply: Hi. I need to share an issue with 1999 A6 (Tiptronic) and need your kind advice