A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Hi. I need to share an issue with 1999 A6 (Tiptronic) and need your kind advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: When does the problem keep recurring? Does it go into limp mode when it happens? There are simil

Hi Slimmm,

Car will be stuck bad (high gear and P R D 4 3 2 all lit up) most of the time. Very seldom car "gets out" of failure and will run ok..but very seldom. What I have noticed is that under heat (hot days) card will act funny. There have been a couple of times when Reverse will not gear in...But this has happened only one or two times. I am not sure if Limp Mode will include the hard jerking when gearing into D.....or reverse..... I did not mentioned that at dealership one 25 AMP fuse -Fuse 33 I believe (handles Engine control) was replaced with a relay so that when failure happens relay will reset back and not need for replacing fuse...(?). This relay gets extremely hot I guess due to amount of current passing thru it. I had to remove it so nothing gets damaged. Also technician at dealership replaced twice the circuit board (so they said) under gearing stick.....
Old 08-12-2003, 08:12 AM

Default Re: Sounds like you're starting to get the run-around to me.

Michaelangelo 2.7T,

Good points. I am trying to see if bringing car somewhere else can be the solution to problem. In any case I can have more info before talking to dealership again. But I feel that Audi corp should be able to assist or provide more advice to people with my "luck".

I have checked car with Carfax and learnt (hopefully a trusted source) that Car has not had any issues in the past and never got into any accident...

Rgds,

Aldo
Old 08-12-2003, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just trying to help all audi owners

Alright so i am called stuborn or judgemental or just a loser, o.k. I don't mean to sound repeatitive or even insult AUDI, i love my A6 Dispite all the problems i have gone through. Lets start this way, i looked my car's history fully. I even found the orginal owner, she explained to me that the car was going back to forth to dealer from the time she had it, including several recalls. She explained the she sold it after she payed $5,000 to have an some engine mounts fixed which went bad a day after her warranty went up. When she sold it to a car dealership it only had about 38,000 miles on it and she had it for 4 Years and 6 months, unfornately the time on the warranty ran out before the mileage, she explained that she hardly ever drove the car. She went out of state once or twice a year and the car had all its scheduled maintence work. Now in NYC i have been to about 3 dealers so far and have not felt good coming out of any of them , and i have spent alot of money. All i am saying is if you guys on AUDIWORLD did not have to take your car to get things fixed as often, would'nt you feel alot better about spending 40-50 on your cars. Now having to take my car to find a dealer that will not take a week or 2 to get my car fixed, or give me an audi loaner so i don't look like a putz picking up my boss in a dodge neon, you know what i mean. Like i said i love audi,s, i kid you not, all i am doing is trying to wait till the new 2004 A6 comes outs so i can buy one brand new and get that good treatment from the dealerships. A car's reliablity is solely based on the number of owners that would buy another one. I looked up the A6 and alot of owners went through the same ordeal as i have and would not buy another audi. Hopefully some from AUDI North America will read this and they will try to improve quality control so we don't have to take our vehicles to the dealers so often, or improve service when someting goes wrong with our vehicles. But guys, if when your warranty runs out and you decide to keep your cars, and then everything starts going wrong with it. The bills for that parts and labor starts rolling in, then consider if i am still stuborn or a loser.
Old 08-13-2003, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Just trying to help all audi owners

"A car's reliability is solely based on the number of owners that would buy another one. I looked up the A6 and alot of owners went through the same ordeal as i have and would not buy another Audi." A lot does NOT necessarily mean most and certainly does not mean all. Maybe in this case it means half, who knows. But there are most likely significantly less A6 owners you have talked too than not. And as I said before, buying a new BMW 5 Series is nowhere near guarenteed to solve the problems you have had with your A6. Oh, read my message titled "According to what I read here on AW a few months ago: posted on 2003-08-11 at 17:19:11. I mention that AoA now in the process of fixing the service probelems at many Audi dealerships in the US and the methods that are being used to take care of this. Of course, there are other topics mentioned in that message too. I have no room to mention them in this message, so read for yourself.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:50 AM

Default I'd have the dealer check the ATF to see if that's OK since you already replacethe MF switch (more)

VW gave me a new tranny and tcu at 3x,xxx because the car went into limp mode twice (but no codes). Limp mode is when all the letter and numbers light up (negative image?). That means the car will only operate in 3rd gear and reverse. Dunno if that's the same in A6 or not.

The dealer couldn't find anything wrong the first time, but the second time they check the ATF and said it was black. They called VW right away and got approval within the hour to replace it. They also said they can feel the car sliping in third gear - I couldn't tell. It's a V6 with tip, BTW.

The car went into limp mode both times when the car was fully loaded with passengers under hard/aggresive type driving - downtown rush hour, ie: trying to accelerate hard to switch lanes, cut people off, etc :-). The first time it reset after a couple of days, the second time after a few hours. Other symtoms: there's sometime a harsh jerk when downshifting (in auto mode) from 3rd to 2nd. After the new tranny was installed, the harsh shift went away.

Do a search at clubb5.com on multi function switch. Some of the members there have had similar problems as mine, but most of them only needed the MF switch. Good luck. HTH.
Old 08-13-2003, 04:09 PM

Default Re: I'd have the dealer check the ATF to see if that's OK since you already replacethe MF switch (mo

Many Thanks sir!,

I will make sure dealer checks ATF and yes Car has been in Limp Mode ever since.....

Thanks for being so knowleadgeable and helpfull!

Best Rgds,

Aldo