A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

High RPMS while in Drive

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

Where do you live? Take it to an Audi dealer or a shop specializing in Audi recommended by this board. They WILL promise and warranty the fix. "Import repair shop" covers a multitude of sins and is not necessarily well versed in Audi.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in the Springfield, MO area

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Where do you live? Take it to an Audi dealer or a shop specializing in Audi recommended by this board. They WILL promise and warranty the fix. "Import repair shop" covers a multitude of sins and is not necessarily well versed in Audi.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Do/can you recommend anyone?
Originally Posted by jeffkruse
I live in the Springfield, MO area
Old 02-27-2013, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

I am receiving this error codes;
P1733 – Tiptronic Switch down circ short to ground
P1739 - Tiptronic Switch up circ short to ground
P1744 - Tiptronic Switch recognition circ short to ground

I am not sure how to ask this, but what parts would I need to replace to fix these and should I fix them?

Thanks

Originally Posted by jeffkruse
Do/can you recommend anyone?
Old 02-27-2013, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Me
MAF to fix a tranny that won't shift? Run, don't walk away from that shop.

Don't worry, they aren't smart enough to find you

Grant
Your wrong. Transmission computer uses MAF input for load calculation. Without a signal from the MAF it will go into limp mode, see it rather often. Maf codes can be caused by huge air leaks, like boost pipes blown off, broken intercooler, other air leaks.

none of those tiptronic codes should really cause anything. I see them on cars all the time, and the only symptom is no tiptronic action. There are magnets and circuit board under the chrome shifter plate that does all the tip stuff.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks so much you have been a big help

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
Your wrong. Transmission computer uses MAF input for load calculation. Without a signal from the MAF it will go into limp mode, see it rather often. Maf codes can be caused by huge air leaks, like boost pipes blown off, broken intercooler, other air leaks.

none of those tiptronic codes should really cause anything. I see them on cars all the time, and the only symptom is no tiptronic action. There are magnets and circuit board under the chrome shifter plate that does all the tip stuff.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

[QUOTE=jcman;24413379]
Originally Posted by Prospeeder
Your wrong. Transmission computer uses MAF input for load calculation. Without a signal from the MAF it will go into limp mode, see it rather often. Maf codes can be caused by huge air leaks, like boost pipes blown off, broken intercooler, other air leaks.QUOTE]

There are only three signals from the ECM to the TCM and the "MAF" has no direct or CAN route, now its possible that a failed MAF could change injecter timing hence causing a "limp mode" situation as well as a cel.

ECM inputs to TCM:

1)Engine Speed Sensor G28
2)Fuel Injector (injector timing)
3)Throttle Position Sensor G69
The TCM communicates with the ECU on a CAN line to reduce throttle during shifts, maf input for load calculation, engine temp, and more on Drive by wire cars, ecu to tcu communication changed big time in 2000 when almost everything went full drive by wire. im Certain the picture you show is 96-99 01V trans.

Last edited by Prospeeder; 02-27-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless the MAF is totally gone- and typically they go out of calibration, it should shift. Just differently.

I don't buy it.

I still think its either a hydraulic/valve issue or a controller issue.

I'll be very interested if the MAF is replaced an all immediately is well.

Grant
Old 02-28-2013, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I didnt say i believed the maf was what is wrong here specificly. Im just say ing they can go into limp mode, which is not whats going on here.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jcman
I guess I was reading this comment that you wrote on your #25 post.

Quote:

So:

This means to me that you are saying in short; The TCM uses an input signal from the MAF.

Well:

That's just technically a wrong description compared to the known TCM inputs from the ECM.
lol what ever dude, I actually work on these cars as a profession, not just some armchair mechanic, and see it cause limp mode on multiple occasions on Drive by wire cars, 2.7Ts 3.0s later 1.8ts 4.2s. its called a can bus network, it doesnt need DIRECT inputs to make communications. it uses a bus line. There are many more things being communicated than what your old picture shows, what model of o1v is that picture from anyway. The different years have significant changes to software and communication between years.

Last edited by Prospeeder; 02-28-2013 at 07:57 PM.

Quick Reply: High RPMS while in Drive