A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

High RPMS while in Drive

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jcman
This is why I work on my own cars, and you sir did not give an answer let alone a last word.
??? ok so you working on your whole 2 or 3 cars means your much more skilled than i who have working on hundreds and hundreds of these cars. lol what ever, go back to staring at manuals and guides instead of using any real experience. Iv done more in one week than you probably have done ever. You cant just read lots of stupid **** all over the internet and then call yourself some tech guru, REAL experience is what makes it all happen. I dont need to prove myself to you, i prove it to all my happy customers each day. So in the nicest way possible, **** off.

Last edited by Prospeeder; 03-06-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

....anyways ..........

Op i hope you got this car for free because either way it is going to be expensive. Sounds like someone dumped their problem on you. Putting all the theory aside just be aware that the TCM ( transmision control module) on these cars are very expensive and rare , they go because of water leaks and it is under the paseneger side floorboard.

Also this does sound like a bit of a complex issue with much going on so it will be difficult for anyone to give you a magic bullet over the phone. Changing fluids and filters is nothing more than hope.
... and my friend .. hope is not a strategy...

At least if you are going to keep the car this is done, but you need to fix threal issue ( issues ) if you are beyond your technical capability find a good indy that specializes in vw/ audi . If you post where you are from maybe someone can recomend one , but either way , prepare to either get dirty, or get your wallet out.

if you have a code reader or vag come i would suggest a more systematic aproach.

usually codes should be troubleshot in the order of which they apear as they can have a cascading effect.

1. clear codes
2. start car .. let it idle... check for codes , see if evrything is ok , if you get codes diagnose and repair this issue.
3. pull away and drive around the block slowly , check for codes ..
4. go a bit faster ..

so on and so on ..
i doubt all thise codes popped up at once .

Without knowing the history i think someone dumped a failing car on you and new the costs involved and bailed..
Old 03-16-2013, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Finally Fixed the shifting problem with my A6

Was not shifting to second gear causing high RPM's when in Drive(D). European mechanic that only works on BMW, AUDI and MB. just rewired a switch around the tiptronic fixed the issue, never used that anyway. Anyone every heard of that and what switch is/was he talking about? also what can I expect to pay to replace valve cover gaskets. Thanks
Old 03-16-2013, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Excellent news

Good to hear that Jeff!
Old 03-16-2013, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

wow. not sure what switch that was but it fixed it so your tech knows what he is doing.

valve cover gaskets should be a gasket set and a couple of hours. but usually more is leaking. cam plugs, tensioner gaskets will have to be done too. i would go to a good indy.
audi stealer is usually a rip off.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffkruse
.......also what can I expect to pay to replace valve cover gaskets. Thanks
Not sure what the shop will charge you but most of us do that ourselves. No more than $100 for parts and goop. Just time and tools.

Good luck and glad you got you high rev problem solved.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go huskers, devoted fan as well

Originally Posted by Huskerbob
Not sure what the shop will charge you but most of us do that ourselves. No more than $100 for parts and goop. Just time and tools.

Good luck and glad you got you high rev problem solved.