A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Holiday price gouging on ecstuning.com???

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 06:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holiday price gouging on ecstuning.com???

The oil change kit I got from ecstuning.com back in October was $5 cheaper than it is now (mfg #B5V630V3KKT).... Is this typical holiday price gouging and the price will come back down after the new year? Sorry to sound pissed, but I hate it when companies hold big promotions like free shipping etc and then raise the base price on you, so you're not getting any deal at all. Just give us the price and quit the BS.

Not sure if this is an ecstuning tactic or not, just seems fishy that the price of my oil went up all of a sudden.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Could be the price of oil has simply gone up? It seems somewhat unlikely there's some great conspiracy to rip off customers by jacking prices at a time of year when all their competitors are holding sales events The $55 they want for the kit for your engine seems like a pretty good deal given what it includes, if you can do better locally or online just buy from that source instead?
Old 12-20-2011, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

not my favourite place. But who knows.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

yeah dude, look at the price of oil, supply and demand in effect. like other said, find it cheaper buy it elsewhere
Old 12-20-2011, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

I doubt it. $5 isn't going to completely offset shipping costs for an oil change kit.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mithrilG60
Could be the price of oil has simply gone up? It seems somewhat unlikely there's some great conspiracy to rip off customers by jacking prices at a time of year when all their competitors are holding sales events The $55 they want for the kit for your engine seems like a pretty good deal given what it includes, if you can do better locally or online just buy from that source instead?
What I'm saying is that it's a known sales & marketing/promotional tactic to give a "discount" on ancillary parts of a purchase (free shipping, % off price, etc), and then jack up the base price of the item right under the consumers' noses. Happens all the time, it's the entire business model for Big Lots... Rural King and WalMart do it, and it happens especially online. You think you're getting a heckuva deal with free shipping or 40% off, so why even comparison shop? But in reality, you paid more than you would've under normal conditions.

Perhaps this isn't the right forum for this. I am partly hoping for a candid response from one of the ECS reps that frequent this board. There very well could be "special" holiday pricing for some items, and I want to know if I wait til January 3rd to order will I save my $5???

And of course the cause of the price increase could be directly linked to the price of oil.... I don't know, just ranting a little bit and seeing if you all had similar experiences with ECS.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 391 Likes on 352 Posts

...there's always AZ Autohaus with free shipping on orders over $50. Plan ahead: get your annual parts requirement in one delivery
Old 12-20-2011, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

ok my 2 cents for whatever its worth, ive never gotten a price from ECS and regretted it
Old 12-20-2011, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hewtown
There very well could be "special" holiday pricing for some items, and I want to know if I wait til January 3rd to order will I save my $5???
January 3rd is 2 weeks away, if you're that worried about getting gouged for the princely sum of $5 then wait and see if the price changes before you order.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

since Oct the price of oil *has* gone up.

About this much

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=OIL&...=on&z=l&q=l&c=

Quick Reply: Holiday price gouging on ecstuning.com???