A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Hot start failure diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well now I'm really stumped on where to look next. I replaced the CTS again but with an OEM to see whether it made a difference, and NO it didn't. I still have the same issue when the car was drivin and reached operating temp, and come out to re-start with a hesitation. Now as I mentioned before, my hesitation is not very long, but I was more worried about it getting worse and then getting stranded.

So here is the interesting part. Now that we are into winter and it is colder outside, the car starts better initially AND I don't have the hesitation in starting that I was trying to fix!!! So obviously this is a heat issue, but I don't know what component or where to look. As I said before, we had previously hooked it up to Vag-Com and there were no codes. I probably won't see the issue again until the spring time so not sure what I can do at the moment. Anyone have any ideas????
Old 12-19-2013, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nativefx
Well now I'm really stumped on where to look next. I replaced the CTS again but with an OEM to see whether it made a difference, and NO it didn't. I still have the same issue when the car was drivin and reached operating temp, and come out to re-start with a hesitation. Now as I mentioned before, my hesitation is not very long, but I was more worried about it getting worse and then getting stranded.

So here is the interesting part. Now that we are into winter and it is colder outside, the car starts better initially AND I don't have the hesitation in starting that I was trying to fix!!! So obviously this is a heat issue, but I don't know what component or where to look. As I said before, we had previously hooked it up to Vag-Com and there were no codes. I probably won't see the issue again until the spring time so not sure what I can do at the moment. Anyone have any ideas????
You really should start a new post with your problem instead of mingling it in another members, possible non-related confusion won't get fast answers.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jcman
You really should start a new post with your problem instead of mingling it in another members, possible non-related confusion won't get fast answers.
I have a similar post on here...had the same issue. They tried thermostat, plugs, timing, everything. Finally the CPS fixed the issue.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jcman
Not sure how its "non-related" as it is a hot start issue? Even if the solutions are different, you would think having members post the multiple solutions they find in one post instead of individual posts may help others identify possible leads on solving their own. Not trying to be confrontational, just sharing my thoughts as I've been searching for others input in multiple threads which I thought could be related.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rogmac1175
I have a similar post on here...had the same issue. They tried thermostat, plugs, timing, everything. Finally the CPS fixed the issue.
Thanks, I'll search for your post and read through as well.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nativefx
Not sure how its "non-related" as it is a hot start issue? Even if the solutions are different, you would think having members post the multiple solutions they find in one post instead of individual posts may help others identify possible leads on solving their own. Not trying to be confrontational, just sharing my thoughts as I've been searching for others input in multiple threads which I thought could be related.
Sorry for my confusion however I used the word "possible" with heavy emphasis, so as a 25yr tech in my field I tend to follow a systematic diagnosis structure for shooting trouble with a remedy result that you did not find here but Sean did, hence related by problem but not by remedy.

Unfortunately not all of us find our problem by searching the forum because the thread subject is not always accurate to the
problem, I'm only stating that a new post might bring in new ideas.

Your problem could be a intermittent failure with the fuel pressure regulator at a certain event, a good way to rule this out would be to check your fuel rail pressure before starting hot while you watch and someone starts.