A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

How to adjust clutch engagement?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to adjust clutch engagement?

Hey so i searched online and on the forum and i cant find anything.

I have my lower dash kick panel off and i cant seem to see a way to adjust the clutch engagement point.

i read on the S4 forum that there was a threaded part with a lock bolt onto the back of the pedal but that isnt the case on my A6 it is just a hydrolic rod into a rack and pinion type setup.

any input would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. i am trying to adjust it so it engages further out. My clutch engages maybe 1 1/2 inches from the floor and it drives me crazy when i am trying to shift fast.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

You have a self adjusting clutch. Your engagement point will always be your engagement point, there's no changing it.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by redbullgotwings
Hey so i searched online and on the forum and i cant find anything.

I have my lower dash kick panel off and i cant seem to see a way to adjust the clutch engagement point.

i read on the S4 forum that there was a threaded part with a lock bolt onto the back of the pedal but that isnt the case on my A6 it is just a hydrolic rod into a rack and pinion type setup.

any input would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. i am trying to adjust it so it engages further out. My clutch engages maybe 1 1/2 inches from the floor and it drives me crazy when i am trying to shift fast.
And it's possible the SAC is effed, or your master is bad. Has it ALWAYS engaged 1 1/2" from floor or is this a new situation? If it's new, or a continuing drop, you need to figure out the problem and I'd start with the (clutch) master cylinder.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
And it's possible the SAC is effed, or your master is bad. Has it ALWAYS engaged 1 1/2" from floor or is this a new situation? If it's new, or a continuing drop, you need to figure out the problem and I'd start with the (clutch) master cylinder.
its not new its always been like that.
the engagement point hasnt moved since i have owned the car.

my fiance has a jetta and hers engages almost at the top of the release and its way easier to shift fast cuz i can just tap the clutch instead of having to fully depress it.

and i realize they are auto adjusting clutches but from what i read on the S4 forum theirs is adjustable so i would think there would be a way to adjust mine...

if i had to couldnt i make a braket to stop the clutch from releasing all the way so i wouldnt have to depress it so far to shift gears. or would that be too sketchy?
Old 07-22-2013, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

my fiance has a jetta and hers engages almost at the top of the release and its way easier to shift fast cuz i can just tap the clutch instead of having to fully depress it.

and i realize they are auto adjusting clutches but from what i read on the S4 forum theirs is adjustable so i would think there would be a way to adjust mine...

if i had to couldnt i make a braket to stop the clutch from releasing all the way so i wouldnt have to depress it so far to shift gears. or would that be too sketchy?
If you fabricated a bracket to stop the pedal you wouldn't be releasing the clutch all the way. Bad news.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I should have said has it been this way since the car was new?
Here's a link to a new clutch from ECS that notes that engagement close to the floor is a sign of a worn clutch. Have you noticed engine speed 'flare' in say third or fourth gear when you go to full boost, i.e., engine speed increases without corresponding car speed increase? If your car doesn't have a throttle disabling switch on the brake pedal you can hit the gas and hold the car back with the brake and see if it stops the engine from increasing speed...if the engine rpm 'flares' or increases your clutch is slipping and worn and it's time to replace it.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-C5_A6-...Clutch/ES1327/
Old 07-23-2013, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

it is time to replace the clutch but i thought these "self adjusting" clutches would be the same even if the clutch was worn.

and its not 3rd or 4th with me its 2nd at about 3k rpm it starts to slip.

im gonna go with an F1 racing stage 2 clutch.
ECS clutch is just too damn much for me.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

it is time to replace the clutch but i thought these "self adjusting" clutches would be the same even if the clutch was worn.

and its not 3rd or 4th with me its 2nd at about 3k rpm it starts to slip.

im gonna go with an F1 racing stage 2 clutch.
ECS clutch is just too damn much for me.
Well, it's kind of you get what you pay for. You won't really know what you need until you get into it, i.e., a new flywheel, a new pressure plate, as well as a new clutch disk. I see the F1 racing stage 2 clutch kit has a pressure plate and disk and throwout bearing...It's interesting that they don't specifically recommend a new flywheel as they do for their OEM replacement kits. You might consider having your OEM flywheel resurfaced....this will also lower the engagement point, all things being equal.

Since there is no adjustment of the OEM linkage, you need to recognize that installing a non-SAC pressure plate will probably result in an unknown engagement point for the pedal. Hopefully the engagement point will be within the pedal travel capability. Make sure the "F1 racing stage 2 clutch" is warranted to fit your car as well as talk to them regarding your engagement point issues.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

see i was thinking about all this to begin with. originally i was going to get the SPEC stage 2 clutch from ECS with the lightweight flywheel, but i think my clutch might go out before i get a chance to save the money for all that. so i was going to go with the F1. i Know the F1 i picked will fit my car i did the research there is a link to it at the bottom, and i mean research besides taking their word for it at the top of the page. i will take your advice and call them though before i do purchase it just to make sure.

ECS is so expensive but thats cuz they arent going to sell you a crap product.

i guess i will prolly just wait and take it easy on my clutch until i can afford the ECS kit.

Thanks for the input Sloop, i appreciate it.

edit: oh ya the link, haha
https://www.clutchstar.com/product/f...-2-7l-v6-turbo
Old 07-23-2013, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

see i was thinking about all this to begin with. originally i was going to get the SPEC stage 2 clutch from ECS with the lightweight flywheel, but i think my clutch might go out before i get a chance to save the money for all that. so i was going to go with the F1. i Know the F1 i picked will fit my car i did the research there is a link to it at the bottom, and i mean research besides taking their word for it at the top of the page. i will take your advice and call them though before i do purchase it just to make sure.

ECS is so expensive but thats cuz they arent going to sell you a crap product.

i guess i will prolly just wait and take it easy on my clutch until i can afford the ECS kit.

Thanks for the input Sloop, i appreciate it.

edit: oh ya the link, haha
https://www.clutchstar.com/product/f...-2-7l-v6-turbo
$374 sounds like a helluva deal compared to a whole ECS kit....

Quick Reply: How to adjust clutch engagement?