A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

How can I clean out the motor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I clean out the motor?

After taking off the oil pan and seeing alot of gunk... How can I get rid of this. Should I get additives like Gunk Out engine cleaner? I heard its supposed to clean alot of the crap out. But also want others opionions
Old 04-09-2009, 05:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You may have better luck in the "General Automotive - Auto Detailing" forum up top.

I, personally, have never had very good luck with just chemicals. It sometimes takes some elbow grease. Depending on how bad it is you may want to scrape some of the heavier deposits clean first and then apply the spray. The spray is only going to get the surface stuff off. High pressure and hot water is ultimately the best.

Sometimes it is nice to leave it to the professionals. You may also want to just call the local detailer and get an estimate on doing just the engine compartment. Just a thought.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Try Auto RX

It's much more 'gentle' than, say, Sea Foam and works very well. I'm going to do a treatment of it at my next oil change.

No affiliation, blahblahblah...
Old 04-10-2009, 05:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Audi42LV8:

It sounds like TrdLtly thought you were referring to external gunk deposits. I don't recommend that you try the elbow grease thing on the problem you seem to have, unless you enjoy disassembling your engine and hand-cleaning the valvetrain and crankcase parts!

I've had the same problem, and you're on the right track. The Gunk motor flush is not very gentle, as it contains petroleum distillates, but it will certainly loosen a lot of what's collected on your metal. You may want to treat it several times, with short intervals between oil changes.

I've never used Auto RX, so I don't know how gentle it is, but I've used SeaFoam in everything I own that has a motor (boats, generators, trucks, SUVs, motorhomes) and it's never given me pause to worry. Auto RX may be a special-application product; read the labels and choose your product for what you need it to do.

As for the junk on the oil filler cap and around the oil fill in the valve cover, you CAN use elbow grease on those - just be careful not to let any debris drop into the valvetrain while you're cleaning.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

As BiTurbo Pilot noted: I did think that he was refering to the gunk on the outside of the pan and not internally.

Good luck on the internal stuff. How about some before and after pictures?