A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

How to jack up rear with front on ramp?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 12:35 AM
TGK
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to jack up rear with front on ramp?

I've got 2 ramps up front, and would like to use the 2 jacks I own to get the rear at the same level. I'm refreshing the transmission filter, fluid, gaskets. The best thing would be to have 4 ramps, but I'm guessing I would use 4 ramps...once. I know your not supposed to jack up the rear with the diff. I wonder if I can jack the rear one side of a time without it shifting? Heck I wonder if my floor jack goes as high as the rhino ramps?
Old 11-19-2010, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

first, i see no practical way to use 4 ramps anyway.

I would guess that you can raise the car one side at a time - pick a point as inboard as possible to minimize the weight shift.

I fear the opposite. rhino ramps dont raise the car very far. Even with the extension part removed, most jack stands are far higher.

You did mean "jack stands" right? Not "jacks"? NEVER, EVER work under jacks. It can be self enforcing.

G
Old 11-19-2010, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Good advice - never work under a car which is not supported on a solid and safe support system. Jacks are simply for lifting the car and you mkust always use stands or at least, wooden blocks to hold the weight in event of a jack failure.

It is not possible to drive a car onto four ramps at once, only by making a ramp with table type plstforms can you lift the whole car.

Something like this ...http://www.jtproducts.co.uk/content....=the_equipment
Old 11-19-2010, 07:57 AM
TGK
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks, yeah I meant jack stands. After I posted, I thought, "how did I think ramps would fit under the rear!"
Old 11-19-2010, 08:05 AM
TGK
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Edd W
Good advice - never work under a car which is not supported on a solid and safe support system. Jacks are simply for lifting the car and you mkust always use stands or at least, wooden blocks to hold the weight in event of a jack failure.

It is not possible to drive a car onto four ramps at once, only by making a ramp with table type plstforms can you lift the whole car.

Something like this ...http://www.jtproducts.co.uk/content....=the_equipment
Those ramps are nice, but $$$
Old 11-19-2010, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Drive the fronts up on the ramps, then raise the rear one side at a time and slide the other a ramp under each wheels?

Sounds like that would work.. but I'm known for overlooking the simplest things unfortunately :/.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Dang these typos, how do ya edit posts on here?

Drive the front wheels up on the ramps, then jack the rear of the car up one side at a time, and slide a ramp under each wheel.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts

The pain in the *** with this is that the place you want to put the jack stands is theonly place to jack up .. I ended up jacking under the diff with a piece of wood ( or a piece of metal behind it i am not sure. and then putting the stnds under the jackpoints. Probably not the way yo are supposed to do it but worked out fine for me .
Old 11-19-2010, 09:29 PM
TGK
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Airbag
The pain in the *** with this is that the place you want to put the jack stands is theonly place to jack up .. I ended up jacking under the diff with a piece of wood ( or a piece of metal behind it i am not sure. and then putting the stnds under the jackpoints. Probably not the way yo are supposed to do it but worked out fine for me .
Exactly, then the stupid jack starts rolling...
Old 11-19-2010, 09:32 PM
TGK
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by OGBULLYLOCDAWG
Dang these typos, how do ya edit posts on here?

Drive the front wheels up on the ramps, then jack the rear of the car up one side at a time, and slide a ramp under each wheel.
Not a bad idea. I feel much safer under a car with ramps. Only thing you can't do is take wheels off though.

Quick Reply: How to jack up rear with front on ramp?