A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

How many affected by Tip gearbox jerk phenomenon?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2002, 01:58 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Default My car will ocasionally downshift into 2nd from any higher (3,4,5) gear with a solid thunk...

I don't know if this is what you mean, but if it is already in 2nd, it does not do anything odd. Bear in mind that I have a GIAC tip chip.
Old 01-10-2002, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think it's just timing...(more)

I noticed it in my '01 A6 2.7T within a month or two of purchase (new) - maybe 2K-5K miles. I've experienced it less than 1/2 a dozen times since. It seems to me that it's a matter of timing - I'm getting back into the throttle, just as the trans downshifts from 2nd to 1st (maybe?). Trans 'disengages' for the shift, engine speed goes up (unexpected by the trans), gearing goes down and BAM! I just take it easy in those infrequent light-goes-green-before-I-stop situations. I've never had it happen enterring a driveway or anywhere else except in a tight right hand corner. Hmmmmmm... Anyone experience this in a left-hand turn?
Old 01-10-2002, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yes

MODEL/ENGINE: A6 2.8
YEAR: 1998
GEAR IN WHICH JERK NOTICED: 1 to 2 or 2 to 1
APPROX. WHEN FIRST NOTICED: bought car w/ 60,000 now at 74,000
SOLUTION IF KNOWN: ?
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I did not really notice the jerk until I gave my father a ride in the car, and he commented on it. Although there is a noticable "lurch" between 1 and 2, I thought that it was simply a big gear ratio difference between 1 and 2. In fact I thought it was just part of the gearing, so I haven't reported it to my dealer.

Default Exactly as others have described, ie, low speed 2nd to 1st, and more dramatically,accel from 2nd OR:

possibly from a " temp Neutral state" to 2nd as someones tech surmised? Mine is "00 2.7T with <15k miles. First pointed out to dealer at 2 months and 1700 miles after purchased new. NOTE: have never expd probs from a standing start. However, I've always wondered why throttle response is always better with a normal start vs. the very real delay one gets when "punching" it up to or past kickdown. My biggest fear is that your situation is the beg of a rash of tranny probs, most of which will probably be out of warranty. PS: even if I could get and online ext service contract (in Calif), can you imagine the hassle involved in getting resolution to a major repair like this.

Default Please keep me updated on this thunk issue

I started experiencing a thunk on occasion when accelerating. I've got to think that someday something is going to break because of this thunk. At this point, I'm just hoping it breaks AFTER the lease ends.

I think it started around 20K miles after a minor front collision which resulted in replacement radiator, air condensor, and hood. For some reason, the car was given a transmission fluid change by the autobody/dealer which I think may have contributed to this.
Old 01-10-2002, 02:03 PM

Default Re: I think it's just timing...(more)

In my case, the jerk happened every time I'm in those situations, both lh and rh turns.
Old 01-10-2002, 02:06 PM

Default exactly why I decided on returning car at end of lease!

Even though my lease end isn't for another 18 months, I would only consider another new S4 if:

1) better performance WITHOUT mods that void warranty

2) NO TURBO. Can't stand the long term reliability issues

John
Old 01-10-2002, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default WildBlue sums up my experience...

It does not seem related to turning. It seems to whack out the transmission if you apply the gas as it's shifting from 2 to 1. Sharp thunk.
Old 01-10-2002, 03:11 PM

Default Re: 2001 2.7T - Problem Resolved (mostly)

I had that same problem with my 2001 2.7T with tip. Exactly as you said, mine would "THUD" into lower gear when trying to accelerate from a very slow speed higher gear to lower gear shift during a red to green light change, and also on slower (1st or 2nd gear) left turns. It felt as if the trans was coasting between gears, not able to decide which gear to shift into. Then my pushing the accelerator forced it to downshift. It created a considerable consternation (especially with my wife!) the 50 or so times it did this.

After insisting the service manager road test it, he did admit to experiencing the problem. A new (reprogrammed?) control module (?) was ordered from AoA and installed within a week.

The trans has acted much more respectably since then. While the problem has been eliminated from the two lowest gears, the updated module does seem to have created a similar (though MUCH less obvious and much more bearable) problem at slightly higher gears when coasting between gears.

Oh yes, the manager also indicated that EPA requirements dictated certain operating parameters on the module, to the extent that the module had to be customized for each auto.
Old 01-10-2002, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: I think it's just timing...(more)

I too have a 2.7t and have experience the same problem. I have gotten better at keeping it from happening. However when I make the Mass. rolling stops (going right) it still happend every now and then...

Quick Reply: How many affected by Tip gearbox jerk phenomenon?