A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

how many of you have your belly pan removed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 10:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how many of you have your belly pan removed?

any pros and cons?
Old 07-10-2013, 10:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 175 Likes on 154 Posts

In addition to reducing noise and air drag, the belly pan also provides support to the front wheel liners. Although removing it won't really damage anything per se, it is better to have it installed than removed, IMHO.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lucio_liu
any pros and cons?
Take a long look up under there and see what all the belly pan protects. Do you really want road junk getting up in there? A belly pan was the first thing I bought for my "new" 2000 A4 when I got it.

I know it makes any work you do there a tad more difficult but the Audi engineers put it there for a reason I bet.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Huskerbob
Take a long look up under there and see what all the belly pan protects. Do you really want road junk getting up in there? A belly pan was the first thing I bought for my "new" 2000 A4 when I got it.

I know it makes any work you do there a tad more difficult but the Audi engineers put it there for a reason I bet.
Second.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by A6Gary
In addition to reducing noise and air drag, the belly pan also provides support to the front wheel liners. Although removing it won't really damage anything per se, it is better to have it installed than removed, IMHO.
True. Plus on some models it protects the alternator and other accessories from splash and road grime.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

pro- convenient

con - aero ( the real reason its there - to smooth airflow and reduce lift); protection of various things. In fact, ifmine had been missing years ago, my oil pan dent might have become a crankshaft hit metal issue which we can all agree is not good.

Grant
Old 07-11-2013, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default re

thanks for all your thoughts.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

pro
-convenient
-a little weight reducing
-much easier to tell an oil leaking

regarding to cons
I do agree what you say, but I cann't really feel any difference for smoothing airflow. maybe just me

protection is a good reason, I should have it install this weekend.

Originally Posted by Just Me
pro- convenient

con - aero ( the real reason its there - to smooth airflow and reduce lift); protection of various things. In fact, ifmine had been missing years ago, my oil pan dent might have become a crankshaft hit metal issue which we can all agree is not good.

Grant
Old 07-11-2013, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by lucio_liu
pro
-convenient
-a little weight reducing
-much easier to tell an oil leaking

regarding to cons
I do agree what you say, but I cann't really feel any difference for smoothing airflow. maybe just me

protection is a good reason, I should have it install this weekend.
Actually makes a small oil leak more difficult to detect...the oil pools in the belly pan.
Ask me how I know this...I chased a P/S pump leak for years, finally had to replace banjo bolt metal washers at P/S pump, stopped leak. Of course the @#@%$ pump became noisy a year later and had to replace the pump...but no leaks!!!!

I've repaired/reinforced my belly pans several times with HD metal foil duct tape (after degreasing the #$%# thing) and fiberglass-reinforced bondo or even just fiberglass cloth and resin. The side holes to the fender liners also crack..the belly pan plastic thickness is not terribly uniform and the Dzus-like female nuts tend to crack and fail/fall out. ECS tuning is a good source for hardware if you buy enough to justify the shipping costs, otherwise just get them from your dealer. Glue them in with JB weld and they'll last a lot longer...just the female piece to the belly pan, not once you've put the fastener in the fender well and the belly pan!!!
Old 07-11-2013, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You expect to FEEL the aerodynamic improvement of a belly pan do you?

The aero is there, you just need to look at all the nooks and crannies and edges and open space in the engine bay for air flow to get disturbed by.
Drag is your enemy, but aero doesn't have a big effect until you exceed about 50mph, then the effect increases exponentially.

IMHO removal of a belly pan is purely for laziness. It's only held on by 6 screws.
Manufacturers don't design and install these things for no reason.
...and weight saving? Seriously? What does it weigh, a couple of pounds?

Quick Reply: how many of you have your belly pan removed?