A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

How much would you pay to have brake lines installed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much would you pay to have brake lines installed?

I was just quoted 3 hours for the bleeding, plus 1.5 hours for the install of new stainless steel braided lines.

The shop claims that A6s/allroads need to be flushed 4 times when replacing lines, to get all the air out.

I'm all for doing a thorough job, but 4.5 hours of labor was kind of a shock. Stoptech claims it takes a mere 3-4 hours to replace a whole front brake system. I'm just doing front/rear lines/fluid. Ouch...
Old 01-29-2003, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default why do brake lines?

Brake lines don't make much difference on cars, as the lines are so short there isn't that much tubing to flex. Now motorcycles on the other hand....
As for the labor, that sounds a bit excessive, but swapping discs and calipers doesn't add much in the way of labor over swapping lines.

AWK
Old 01-29-2003, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well... fluid too. =)

I diddn't realize how short the lines were untill a couple hours ago when the FedEx guy showed up with them... oh well.

Most of the labor was with the fluid replacement.

Not doing discs and calipers, just lines/fluid. Had I realized in advance how much the labor charge would be, I would have bought the calipers too...
Old 01-29-2003, 05:53 PM
Elder Member

Default Hey itacud, where did you end up going? Which shop? 4.5 hours to bleed brakes and change lines

sound a little excessive.
Old 01-29-2003, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Hey itacud, where did you end up going? Which shop? 4.5 hours to bleed brakes and change lines

New Dimensions... in Santa Clara, CA.<ul><li><a href="http://www.newdimensions.com">http://www.newdimensions.com</a</li></ul>
Old 01-29-2003, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Bled my brakes in less than 90 minutes....

Did it by myself, by hand (foot) with no lift. The dealer should have a pump that puts the system under pressure and bleeds the brakes very quickly. They can also hook it up to the computer and activate the ABS. I had to put the wheels back on and drive it to activate the ABS, then bleed it again.
Old 01-29-2003, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I tried to explain to them that Audiworld members were more mechanically skilled than they...

they just shrugged... ;-)

The strange thing is that Nothern California-ites recommend this shop, so they can't be <i>that</i> bad, can they?

Either way, I don't even have 90 free minutes between now and this weekend... so they'll be getting my money.
Old 01-29-2003, 07:36 PM
Elder Member

Default What is their hourly rate? I'm starting to wonder about them.

Don't they have a power bleeder? Maybe, that's something you should ask them? I'd be interested in what they say. Like I said the other night they have a good reputation; but, had other so call good shop fail me in the past?
Old 01-29-2003, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default $89/hr! (Though, that's significantly less than my stealership's hourly...) ->

To be fair, New Dimensions is concerned about doing a good job.

They want to Powerbleed once, Manual flush twice, then Powerbleed again. Hence the 3 hour bleed/flush time, in addition to the 1.5 hours to actually install the new lines. (That part seems very sketchy... given how short the lines are, I'd imagine that it can't be that hard to do? No snaking into the recesses...)

While I'm happy they want to ensure the job is done right, I'm irritated that they haven't done it enough to know exactly how long it takes, down to the minute! =) As pointed out, anybody who's done it seems fairly confident in their ability to do it again, quickly.
Old 01-29-2003, 08:13 PM
Elder Member

Default Thanks for the info bro.

Hope they did a good job and you enjoy! Let us know if you have any problems down the road so to speak. I see a 2.7t allroad over in the rose garden area. That's not your's is it?

Quick Reply: How much would you pay to have brake lines installed?