A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

how often should I change my fuel filter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Me
Truth is - it depends on how dirty your fuel has been - on average - over time. Do you buy randomly from stations? Run your tank near empty regularly? Or fill up at known high volume stations?

Giant it depends.

Incidentally, why do you think a clogged filter would reduce fuel economy? I dont follow the logic...

Grant
I'm not sure exactly why it does it, but I've had 2 incidents where a clogged fuel filter KILLED my fuel mileage and power. Caveat: only had it happen on fuel injected cars, never experienced it on carbed cars. I picked up a load of fuel at a station where a tanker was delivering fuel and almost immediately had power loss. Then I found that the vehicle was almost out of fuel at about 2/3ds the normal range. Suspected a contaminated fuel filter and when I pulled it, found it pretty much plugged. Changed it out and power and economy went right back to normal. I have no idea why the fuel economy suffered so much with a plugged fuel filter, but I definitely did not imagine it. The same exact thing happened to me when the catalytic converter plugged on me on 2 different vehicles. This I could understand a little better; no power=push the accelerator further down, use more fuel, I guess. The key to it all? Never get fuel where they are delivering a load to the underground tanks. I guess there is so much crap in a mostly empty storage tank that when a delivery happens, all of that gets stirred up and delivered to YOUR tank.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very true.. always avoid filling while seeing a tank truck. one tank dirty gas could be more than enough to kill a fuel filter.

Originally Posted by Zaphodb17
I'm not sure exactly why it does it, but I've had 2 incidents where a clogged fuel filter KILLED my fuel mileage and power. Caveat: only had it happen on fuel injected cars, never experienced it on carbed cars. I picked up a load of fuel at a station where a tanker was delivering fuel and almost immediately had power loss. Then I found that the vehicle was almost out of fuel at about 2/3ds the normal range. Suspected a contaminated fuel filter and when I pulled it, found it pretty much plugged. Changed it out and power and economy went right back to normal. I have no idea why the fuel economy suffered so much with a plugged fuel filter, but I definitely did not imagine it. The same exact thing happened to me when the catalytic converter plugged on me on 2 different vehicles. This I could understand a little better; no power=push the accelerator further down, use more fuel, I guess. The key to it all? Never get fuel where they are delivering a load to the underground tanks. I guess there is so much crap in a mostly empty storage tank that when a delivery happens, all of that gets stirred up and delivered to YOUR tank.