A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

how to remover headlight switch knob on A6 C5

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to remover headlight switch **** on A6 C5

It appears one can buy a lot of replacement parts from China these days. I just bought the headlight switch trim. It includes the trim piece and a new light switch **** for $4 bucks. On my newly acquired 2002 S6 all the controls have been scratched to their white origins by Sandpaper Fingers previous owner so I am replacing everything.

Anyway, easy to pull the switch, but how do I get the **** off it? The replacement **** has some slots in the shaft in the middle of the **** so I assume something must engage those. But tug and tug I could not get the actual *** off the switch. Nor do I see any clever way to get into it other than drill a hole in the old switch. Which wouldn't matter but I thought I would ask before going destructo.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Switch off. Push in hard and turn widdershins.

Originally Posted by EUROBARG
It appears one can buy a lot of replacement parts from China these days. I just bought the headlight switch trim. It includes the trim piece and a new light switch **** for $4 bucks. On my newly acquired 2002 S6 all the controls have been scratched to their white origins by Sandpaper Fingers previous owner so I am replacing everything.

Anyway, easy to pull the switch, but how do I get the **** off it? The replacement **** has some slots in the shaft in the middle of the **** so I assume something must engage those. But tug and tug I could not get the actual *** off the switch. Nor do I see any clever way to get into it other than drill a hole in the old switch. Which wouldn't matter but I thought I would ask before going destructo.
Try it on your new one first. You'll see the latches drawn in.
Do it on the one in the car to take it out.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry I do not understand the response. I want to replace the **** of the headlight switch. I have that new plastic **** in one hand (100% plastic- nothing else to it). In the other hand is the entire headlight switch that I pulled out of the car. How do I get the **** off the old switch so I can replace it with the new ****?
Old 06-13-2016, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts
Default AFAIK you can't.

Originally Posted by EUROBARG
Sorry I do not understand the response. I want to replace the **** of the headlight switch. I have that new plastic **** in one hand (100% plastic- nothing else to it). In the other hand is the entire headlight switch that I pulled out of the car. How do I get the **** off the old switch so I can replace it with the new ****?
It's an assembly. I've never replaced just the ****.