A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

How should I protect my paint??

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2000, 04:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How should I protect my paint??

Does anyone have experience with Stongard or equivalent products? What about waxees/polioshes? I'm awaiting delivery of my 2.7T next month, and I would like to keep it looking good!

Ebony Pearl w/Vanilla/Onyx
all opt's except warm weather
uuc shifter
17" Fittipaldi Polaris
Dunlop SP9000's
Old 07-10-2000, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: How should I protect my paint??

I've been looking into Stongard and Armourfend. I'm trying to justify the $600 cost to install.
I do already have the Audi nose mask ($120 from the dealer) and it fits very well. It's the first bra that I've had on a car that doesn't flap when I'm cruising over 90. Very nice piece.
As far as wax is concerned, I've already waxed my car/ (when I picked it up, I didn't like the hazy swirls on the paint)
I personally use Ibiz wax, but it didn't work as well on my A6 as it has on my other cars. But, I did find that my old standby (Meguiars Gold Class) worked very nicely. When one panel was waxed with 2 waxes, the Meguiars came out far superior to the Ibiz.
I also have 3M Imperial Hand Glaze to fill in those tiny swirls. But the Glaze has no polish or wax in it, so you must wax over it if you want to keep the lustre (otherwise after a rain, it's gone)
Old 07-10-2000, 07:11 AM
JP

Default Here's a couple of options for polish and a clear bra.

The Zaino seems to be the best polish I've used. The X-pel 3M clear bra is working very well.

http://www.zainobros.com/
http://205.238.176.128/
.../jp
Old 07-10-2000, 09:01 AM
ncp

Jim,

I have been debating whether to buy a Colgan, or the Audi front end cover for my A6. I am familiar with the Colgan front end covers which I have used with my previous cars (BMW, Porsche), and was satisfied with the fit, the attachment method, and quality of construction.

I am happy to hear that the Audi front end cover also fits very well. The only concern I have is that the Audi cover is made to fit over the front license plate, which I chose not to install on my vehicle. I believe with the Colgan you have a choice. My question is, can the license plate cover piece be easily removed, and how is the front end cover attached to the vehicle ? Do they use padded hooks, or Velcro?

Thanks
Old 07-10-2000, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

the License plate cover need to be cut out. It's very easy to remove also, as the area that you will cut out is bordered by stitching and you won't mess it up.
The Audi mask attaches to the hood portion via elactic cords will rubber coated s-clips. You will have to remove 4 of the clips that hold the underhood liner inplace. It'll be fine that way, and it doesn't come loose in any way.
The lower portion attaches inside the wheel wells with one clip (on each side) and grommet type snape (two per fender well) There is also the same strecth cords and s-clips on the lower half, and all of them attach out of the way, and no marring will occur (there are 6 that attach to the underside of the front bumper, and two that attach inside the front bumper, to holes inside the bumper support)
Takes about 5 minutes to install both pieces, although for the first install you'll need a stubby Phillips head screwdriver (to remove the screws in the wheelwell opening and install the snaps) Other than that, it's pretty slick. No flapping around (so long as you make it nice and snug) and it covers the entire front end (with mesh for the grille openings) except for the headlights and foglights.
Old 07-10-2000, 10:40 AM
ncp

Jim, Thanks for the info.
Old 07-10-2000, 11:24 AM

Thanks Jim and ncp for the info.