A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Hows it going

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hows it going

Just wanted to stop by and check in. I am going to purchase a C5 model A6 4.2 in the future and just wanted to join a reputable forum for this reason. Glad to be here. I plain on doing modest performance upgrades including cold air intake and exhaust, maybe a tune have to study on tunes for this car. Any advice on performance parts is welcome. I am heavily entertaining the idea of the rear muffler delete with magnaflow resonator tips. As for air intakes and tunes I am unadvised for the Audi, although I do prefer Injin Technologies and Greddy.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

skip all the performance mods, you will be lucky to add 20-30 hp with an intake, exhaust and a tune, the intake is as good as its going to get (audi did a fantastic job designing this, a CAI will only make noise) the exhaust will open it up a little bit, but its mostly for sound, a muffler delete like you said would be best bet for that. A tune is just not going to get the power you want, they run these cars pretty advanced as it is due to the tremendous amount of monitoring and control the ECU has. you would be better served spending money on a good suspension and tires, as well as replacing the mounts and control arms to deliver the power to the road.

the 4.2L is not very good to mod unless you throw some serious cash into the bolt on supercharger or do a conversion to the RS6 turbo system...
Old 06-16-2012, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

that being said.. Welcome!

to much emphasis is put on performance vs drive-ability. Getting some good tires, a tight suspension and fresh mounts to transfer the power to the ground will all put a bigger smile on your face then intake/exhaust/chip and will probably leave more money in your wallet too
Old 06-16-2012, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts

2nd. If you want performance from the C5 4.2 go to the S6.

OTOH, the supercharger is a very good bang for the buck system. A supercharger for an M3 runs about $20K all in to go from 333hp from 3.2L to 493hp (intercooler, new ecu, etc, etc, )

You get, what, 450 or so hp from a 4.2 with a blower/intercooler for $8K?
Old 06-16-2012, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
2nd. If you want performance from the C5 4.2 go to the S6.

OTOH, the supercharger is a very good bang for the buck system. A supercharger for an M3 runs about $20K all in to go from 333hp from 3.2L to 493hp (intercooler, new ecu, etc, etc, )

You get, what, 450 or so hp from a 4.2 with a blower/intercooler for $8K?
yes it is a great bang for the buck, unless you can find a totalled RS6 that was rear end damage, remember reading about a guy walking away with everything + two new rs6 turbos for under 10k, again not bad
Old 06-18-2012, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the advice guys, really appreciate it. I was aware the exhaust and intake would primarily be more show than go, but it would add to my personal preference. I was thinking that Audi and other German performance car companies would do there homework and make a very performance minded vehicle in the beginning. I noticed someone said the 4.2 wasn't a good vehicle to modify, are the v6 cars faster? And it would be appreciated if you could advise on suspension components and tires. I am affiliated with Koni and SRC for suspensions, and I favor Michelin Pilot tires and Perelli brand tires and I have ran some good Hankook tires as well.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have been looking and I have found 2 S line cars with the 2.7T engine. It looks that the interior and everything else is the same as the 4.2 cars, but I can go a year or 2 newer for the same money, are these cars as fast as the 4.2 cars? And one guy suggested buying an RS6, I can't afford it, i am looking to spend around 10 grand so i have money left over to do wheels, tires and performance modifications.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have been looking and I have found 2 S line cars with the 2.7T engine. It looks that the interior and everything else is the same as the 4.2 cars, but I can go a year or 2 newer for the same money, are these cars as fast as the 4.2 cars? And one guy suggested buying an RS6, I can't afford it, i am looking to spend around 10 grand so i have money left over to do wheels, tires and performance modifications.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

the only reason people say get the 2.7t is because it is a good platform to start and there are so many simple bolt on mods for ridiculous power increases.

that being said, if you are car savy and build motors, there is nothing stopping you from building a beastly N/A 4.2L or putting together your own supercharger/turbo kit for it. the only difference is many of the parts will have to be custom made, there in lies the problem :/
Old 06-18-2012, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by 2.7Lturbo
the only reason people say get the 2.7t is because it is a good platform to start and there are so many simple bolt on mods for ridiculous power increases.

that being said, if you are car savy and build motors, there is nothing stopping you from building a beastly N/A 4.2L or putting together your own supercharger/turbo kit for it. the only difference is many of the parts will have to be custom made, there in lies the problem :/
What kind of power increases are we talking about? I do love the sound of a spooling turbo and the wooosh coming from a Tial blow off valve,lol. Are they on par with the 4.2 cars , as far as acceleration and power after these " bolt on mods" your talking about? I am car savvy, but I do not want to tear into the 4.2's motor or do any extensive custom fab. This will be a daily driver.

Quick Reply: Hows it going