A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

I had the resonator pulled from the exhaust yesterday-->

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2002, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I had the resonator pulled from the exhaust yesterday-->

and while the sound is a bit louder than stock, it's by no means loud. I can hear it best with the windows closed, and so long as the revs are under 2500 rpm with light throttle, or 3500 rpm under heavy throttle. Once above that point, the engine sound drowns out any exhaust noise. This is the way the car should sound from the factory. Just a deep purr at idle, with a bit of a raspiness when the throttle is opened up. The local muffler shop I patronized suggested a pair of Flowmasters in the stock muffler locations, and a pair of mini-resonators in the stock location. This, he feels will "give great sound" on this turbo powerplant.
I personally wish that the car was louder with the resonator removed, as I might not have to take this step. But, I needed to see for myself exactly how the car would sound before I proceeded any further. Good thing is the shop will take off the price of the resonator removal from the next job, so I'll save $80 when I do the rest of the system.
My initial impressions:
1. The sound is a bit louder than stock, I'd venture to say about 2-3% louder with the windows open. About 5% louder with the windows closed. With the windows closed, you can actually hear the revs climb, and on the upshifts, it sounds great.
2. It's barely noticeable to others. My wife didn't even notice, and I told her that I had done something to the car, and dared her to pick it out. Only when climbing a tall bridge, at low revs and under WOT was she finally able to pinpoint that the car "sounded more powerful"
3. My butt tells me that the car has a few more ponies than before. Once over 4k, the engine seems to charge strongly to redline, not tapering off above 5k like it used to. I also noticed that my high speed acceleration has picked up a bit. A standing start run from 1st to 3rd gear feels a bit stronger on the top end in 2nd and 3rd gear. Once above 4k in any gear, the engine seems to rev faster and stronger to redline.

All in all, it was worth the money, and I will continue with the rest of the system. I love the sound as it is, but wouldn't mind just a bit more throatiness to the tone.
Old 09-18-2002, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do the flowmasters...

I did my resonators (replaced w/smaller), and mufflers with a high-flow (similar to Flowmaster), and I love the sound! Nice "burble" at low RPM, a little sound at mid-revs (not harsh), and not intrusive at any RPM. And - defintely more power!!

DO it - you'll love the results...
Old 09-18-2002, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Do a search - and check my pic posts for FlyBry's install.
Old 09-18-2002, 11:19 AM

Default I thought about doing the same thing on the S6....

it appears to be a nice alternative to the Supersprint exhaust mentioned by others. Do you have any input regarding the positive or negative effects this would have on a N/A motor?
Old 09-18-2002, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Expert

It is a totattly different thing I think, with no turbos to kill off a lot of the noise
Old 09-18-2002, 11:26 AM

Default Hmmm, I wonder how much louder...

Decisions, decisions, be a guinea pig or spend the $$ for SS.
Old 09-18-2002, 12:58 PM

Thanx for the detail info; very helpful...
Old 09-18-2002, 01:12 PM

this is a great baseline for a stock engine 2.7t. awesome info! $80 is not bad at all!
Old 09-18-2002, 01:33 PM
Craggy Old Man

cheep fargen bastage..!!!!!! Jims cheap , Jims cheap, Jims cheap j/k : )
Old 09-18-2002, 01:49 PM

Default a lot louder with resonators romoved and with aftermarket exhaust; you will be competing with souped

up civics.

Quick Reply: I had the resonator pulled from the exhaust yesterday-->