A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

I have some problems I hope you guys can help me with.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 10:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have some problems I hope you guys can help me with.

I have some problems with my 1998 Audi A6 Quattro and getting info from the dealer without paying is like pulling teeth from a great white.

1. My drivers side mirror has some brown stains on the bottom part of the glass and it looks like it is behind the mirror (the heated mirrors are not working either).

2. My car has a really bad miss when I put it in reverse. It is missing a little when I really get on it, but when in reverse it will hardly pull itself up a hill in reverse.

3. I ripped the handle off of the glove box the other day and I think the plastic that the handle attaches too is now broken. Do I have to replace the whole door or can I get one from the junk yard and take it apart and use the pieces that I need?

4. My turn signals flash really fast. I thought it was a bad bulb, but I replaced them all and found out that it is an intermittent problem. I have to have my parking lights on to get the front markers to blink. I wonder if it has anything to do with the bulb holders in the front of the car?

5. My transmition seems to be slipping. No place to check the fluid.

6. I think I have an exhaust manifold leak, it is only loud when it is cold. I'm guessing that is going to cost me a pretty penny.

7. Driver side seat has some play in it. Power seat, but it will tilt forward about a half an inch when you hit the breaks. I have resolved this issue so far by tilting the seat bottom of the seat back and the front all the way up. It seems to be the sprocket on the motor shaft, but it is too tight under there to be sure.

8. I also have the problem with the LCD missing lines intermittently, but I'm not paying $250 to get it fixed. I guess I'll just have to guess at the temp. LOL

For now that is all I can think of, but I'm sure there are others that I've just gotten used too. I will post some pictures tomorrow so that you guys can see it is not a big pile of poo, it just needs some money and hard work to get it right. I don't have the money to just take it to the dealer and say fix it. This car was owned by my buddy that passed away last year and I'm determined to keep it and fix it.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Oh I forgot, I am missing the original Key fob and need to get another

I've found them on ebay, but I need to know what numbers to look for when ordering.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default A few answers.

1. you need a new mirror. The brown will only get worse. Its the oil in the auto dim mirror leaking out.

2. Check for codes. I would guess a coil pack.

3. no clue

4. I think ther flasher button thing can cause this. not 100%

5. not sure

6. see above

7. see above

8. someone put in the tech section how to fix the LCD at home. You have to buy the LCD then solder it in.

I would def use the search function more if I were you.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Open up your other key and get one with the same FCC transmitter number
Old 03-11-2009, 02:52 PM
Fear the Miata!

you can stfa for most of the answers to your questions