A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

I just bought some Avon M550's has anybody tried these

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I just bought some Avon M550's has anybody tried these

My Falken Ziex's are already worn out, I have the Toyo's Proxes 4 on my 4.2 but the Avon's were even cheaper with great reviews on the tire rack. I also like the higher treadwear rating. I was a little dissapointed how quick the Falkens wore out.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let us know. TireRack has been promoting Avon a lot recently.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: I just bought some Avon M550's has anybody tried these

Avon has been the OEM tire brand for the Land Rover Defender for the past 14 years. They have a reputation for endurance and performance. I hope it carries on to the M550's

Andres
Old 01-29-2005, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Is this "brand" or "alliance" marketing.... (also painfully long)

As a "car" guy and not a real marketing type (I am, instead, a practicing scientist/teacher/windbag), I am fascinated with the whole Avon Tyre transformation. Avon, a deeply storied producer of tires in England, was one of the pioneers of radial tire technology - although Michelin tends to capture the fame with respect to that innovation. Avon has made a corporate decision to divest their tire manufacturing interests and sell the rights to the American Company, Cooper Tires. Avon is now into glues and car parts - go figure.

Cooper, which is noted for, well - really nothing in the high performance/boutique tire market now acquires a brand that has a mythical connection to all things sportingly British. Let's leave Lucas out of these fond memories and let's concentrate on, say Girling (no those shocks leaked like sieves). Oh let's just say mythical and leave it at that!

Cooper, is an OEM producer of non-memorable rubber on stalwarts like the Ford Taurus and private label brands such as K-Mart, Sears, Pep-Boys, etc. I honestly do not mean to denegrate Cooper - we use them on our research trucks because the tires are relatively cheap and durable.

However, it will be a challange to deliver a boutique tire when it is no longer produced in the Merry Olde Motherland (no flaming please - I grew up in England and my heart still lives there). On a good note - maybe these versions from Cooper will actually be round :-)

If we are looking to support a true boutique company with some really cool innovations, I would suggest a peak at the Dutch Vredestein Banden Co. and their line of tires - especailly the snow tires - which rival Nokian and Blizzaks.

Peace
Eric :-)
Old 01-29-2005, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Very amusing as well as interesting:-)
Old 01-29-2005, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I didn't know this story, but I applaud Cooper. With the death of Firestone...

... and decline of Goodyear and Goodrich, I'm happy to see Cooper step up from the Pep Boys level. Let's face it, you buy the tooling and formulas, and you can make good tires.

I always wonder how many "bad" tires are really needed these days given the quality of tires being sold with new cars. At least 2/3 of cars seem to come with some alloy wheel, and most tires are now 60 series or better.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:33 AM

Default Yeah, I have always wonder tirerack's ability of being unbiased on their recommandation

After all, they are in the business of making money
Old 01-29-2005, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thanks - its a tradition at the Saab forum...

Hello Alfista...

As the previous owner of two Saab Aero's - we got a bit used to talking about the past and carrying extra Direct-Ignition cassettes for our hyper-blown 2.3 litre motors putting out close to 300hp... oh well - not much to look forward to in the Saab domain accept perhaps another GM platform (Epsilon = 93, GM SUV = 97, Subaru WRX = 92, perhaps we will get a Monte Carlo with a 3.8 litre pushrod motor and call it the new 95)... I am glad to have my A6 2.7t. Although the lure of Italian cars is a strong pull :-) You have the best of both worlds.
Old 01-29-2005, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I'm sure you've seen this?

Shared by another A6/Saasb enthusiast:

Saab says some models damaged by cold
Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:04 PM ET
STOCKHOLM, Jan 22 (Reuters) - General Motors unit Saab said on Saturday that engines in two of its older car models could be damaged by cold weather in combination with spare use of the vehicles.

Sweden's Saab, which markets its vehicles as especially suited for cold climates, said it would offer to service cars of the two models affected if they developed engine trouble due to the defect.

Saab spokesman Orjan Aslund said a combination of cold weather and use of the cars for short drives, where the engine was not given time to heat up, could result in damage to the engines of Saab 9-5 and 9-3 cars manufactured before 2002.

"We are not completely finished analysing this, but it appears that the quality of the oil is gradually degraded, leading to poorer lubrication of vital parts of the engine," Aslund said.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Long maybe, but not at all painful

Very interesting. And nicely written.
I guess that's why they cal;l it "English" and not "'Murican"
-Grant

Quick Reply: I just bought some Avon M550's has anybody tried these