A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

i need remote fob help

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 06:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need remote fob help

I called several audi dealerships and none of them would give me the fcc id # so i could buy a key fob from ebay. Can someone get it for me ? Please, i really dont want to pay $250 for a key fob + install from dealer.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Do you already have one fob in your possession?

if so, just open it up and look.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just separate your fob like you are gonna change the battery. Its printed in there.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:46 AM

Default re

thats the thing i dont have a remote fob, just a valet key.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default My experiance says - Just go to the dealer parts counter with your VIN

Do you know if your car is immobilizer equipped?
That will be your hurdle with the ebay FOB. You'll have to end up at the dealer then.
I ordered an ebay fob. Then, with multiple complications (including dealer ruined the original key trying to cut the new one), I ended up buying one from the dealer (along with the free one they gave me for breaking mine). So I paid twice.
I only ened up paying like $100 from the dealer - My car didn't have the immobilizer so I wasn't held up with that issue.
So I ended up paying $165 total with the ebay FOB/shipping and the OEM replacement.
I think the dealer likes to tell people that it could be as much as $250 depending on the car.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i called the Audi garage with a similar question the other day.....

call the dealer, they should give you the fcc id # free of charge if you provide them with your vin.

I bought a fob & blank key off of ebay that matched my fcc id number... this works great ONLY if your car doesn't have an immobilizer. I believe 99's do not have one. However, when you go to start your car, if you see a red light that has a "car with a key over it" flash up before the car starts, then you have an immobilizer. Again, I don't think 99s do, at least mine doesn't.... but if your car has one, your best (and only) bet is to just buy it from the dealer...

also, the dealer refused to cut my key because my old key was over 2 years old, and they won't make a copy of a key over 24 months old... because it is worn down.... so i had to have them order me a blank from Germany... $75....
Old 04-18-2006, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I'm confused. Your old key is "too old" to make a copy of, and yet they're able to do it

after ordering a $75 blank from Germany? Didn't they have to copy it from your old key? What makes a $75 German blank any different from an ebay blank? I was able to get a dealer to make a copy from my 6 year old key. It was disgustingly dirty, too. I think your dealer is full of air about the original key being too old.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:46 PM

Default Re: i need remote fob help

i have a 99 without a chip in the key. If I give any of you guys the vin # can you get it? I tired at least 5 in ny and they are all *******s about it
Old 04-18-2006, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: I'm confused. Your old key is "too old" to make a copy of, and yet they're able to do it

Yeah, that's what I said too...

The dealer told me that after a few years, the keys wear down, and they don't copy them (I gave them a hard time, but they wouldn't do it). They said the only way to get a new key made was to order it from Germany using the VIN, and it would be cut at the factory and sent to the dealer.... I didn't really have much of a choice though.... there is only one Audi dealer around, and no locksmith I called would cut my blank.....

But to answer your question, the key was cut at the factory using the records from the car....
Old 04-19-2006, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Wow I guess your old key must've been in REALLY bad shape. Or the dealer really wants your $.

Quick Reply: i need remote fob help