A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

I posted this below, but here it is again...re: $$$ and performance diff b/w 4.2 and S6...

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2001, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I posted this below, but here it is again...re: $$$ and performance diff b/w 4.2 and S6...

There has been a lot of trash talk on this forum over the last several months regarding how lame the new S6 is and how it cost sooo much more than its twin, the 4.2.
As one of the idiots who is laying out jack for this car, I feel obligated to comment on the fact that <b>almost</b> none of us really have any freaking idea on whether A)there is a significant performance difference, or B)it's worth the extra money.
If you have not spent <b>significant</b> time in BOTH vehicles, you have no damn idea about the differences in performance, feel, handling, etc. Myself included. I DO NOT KNOW if the S6 will be a significant improvement over the 4.2, but I will soon find out.
The argument that there is not a significant improvement in performance is baseless...unless you are one of the rare who has spent real-time behind the wheel of both.

Andre has.
Stoney has (at least some time in the S6).
Others ???

I don't give a rat-**** what any auto-rag has said...good or bad...they are all full of ****. I have driven plenty of cars that the rags have lauded, only to find them pathetic and impotent.

I'm trusting it will be a significant improvement...but if not, I will not care much as I will still have what I want...the baddest-*** V8 wagon in the U.S. and that I will not see a dozen of, on the way to work. The $$$ difference is not very important...if someone offered the 4.2 with the S6 changes and called it a "sport package" and charged $8k...I'd go for it. Fortunately, I don't care very much about money...it's nice, but cars are much nicer...I don't evaluate every ingredient in the food I eat to find out if it's worth the $10 more I pay here or somewhere else. The price of a car is not merely the sum of the cost of its parts...perhaps an exhaust, transmission and engine refinements, Alcantara, wagon-***, suspension refinements, etc. don't add up to $7k, or $13k in cost. Certainly the addtional $12-$14k for the 4.2 vs the 2.8/3.0 is more than the difference in cost of the parts.

My point is not that the S6 IS worth the additional money...that is up to the individual. But, using its performance, handling, etc as a reason why it is or is not worth the money is foolish and unfounded unless you have experienced both and really know what you're talking about.

BTW: as far as prices go...

MSRP is approximately $7k different for nearly equivalent-equipped cars ($2-3k of which is absorbed by the "Avant" option)

Real-World sales price is ~$10k different given a $3k off MSRP for the 4.2 and full MSRP for the S6.

Unfair governmental intrusion and theft tax (aka gas-guzzler tax) of $2100 cannot be controlled except to form a PAC and contribute millions to the *******s in Congress to repeal this biased and unjust penalty.

The other applicable unfair governmental intrusion and theft tax (aka luxury tax) amounts to ~$300-400 difference.

And the other, more reasonable tax (sales tax) amounts to an ~$600-700 difference.

Thus, the $13k difference in out-the-door price...but I do suspect, at resale time, I will get 1/2 of that difference back...I suspect it will be well worth it, IMO
Old 11-29-2001, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If only it were a sedan (in the US)... sigh. Oh, wait, that means I have the top "6" series sedan!!
Old 11-29-2001, 02:41 PM

Default Totally Agree...

Between my wife and I we have owned a bunch of Audi over the years (A4, S4, TT, A6 Avant, A6 4.2, allroad). We this week picked up a S6 Avant, trading our 225 TT and allroad.

I can safely say the S6 is a major improvement over the 4.2, yes it compares in some respect; V8, sporty.

However the extra 40hp/touqe, the difference in the damping of the suspension gives this car a much more solid feel. I'd have bought a 6 speed if there was one, but actually the improvements in the sport program and general responsiveness of the 2002 tip makes the drive great!

I certainly don't miss the 4.2 or think you can compare the two.

btw. All those who think the world is about to end b/c there is not a sedan, think again. The Avant is just as much car, if not more. It has better weight distribution (closer to 50/50 rather than 60/40) and is a more solid car (yay, no more sedan headliner/sunroof creaking, loose seats).
Old 11-29-2001, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

My only question is....why drop $70k on a car you have not driven or sat in, and read little about??
Old 11-29-2001, 03:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I also agree.....

but don't forget there are some of us who really want a wagon in the first place, so the 4.2 isn't even an option. I've had a 1998 E320 4matic and a 2001 Volvo Cross Country and am now driving a temporary allroad while waiting for my S6. Since the allroad beats the others hands down (my experienced opinion), the S6 should blow them away. I considered a 540i wagon, since I love my wife's 330 convertible, but the lack of room and no third seat option turned me away. Throw in quattro for our northeast winters, and the S6 is an outstanding choice.
Old 11-29-2001, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ignore the twits ! Only you know your priorities. Only you can decide

if you will be happy or unhappy in the long run with your choice.

I for one applaud your audacity. Bravo !
Old 11-29-2001, 03:11 PM
rmg

Default Re: For what it's worth I think the S6 and A6 4.2 are really two different

cars.

Having owned a A6 4.2 and driven the S6 Avant I can say that they are two different cars even though they share a common platform.

As most of us know performance can be describe and realized in ways other than 0-60 times.

Handling dynamics, braking, etc all contribute to the overall performace of a car.

Just some .02

rmg
Old 11-29-2001, 03:15 PM

(In my best Yoda voice) "Buy you must. Drive the Amulet you will. Blow by everyone you shall."
Old 11-29-2001, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the car. Having taken a couple of extended test drives.Now they hide the keys when I show up!
Old 11-29-2001, 03:25 PM

Finman - go on with your bad self! Nietzsche would have said "screw the jealous naysayers."

Quick Reply: I posted this below, but here it is again...re: $$$ and performance diff b/w 4.2 and S6...