A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Improving airflow over the intercoolers (2.7t/Allroad)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Improving airflow over the intercoolers (2.7t/Allroad)

Have you ever taken a good look at just how hidden the intercoolers are on the A6 2.7t? It does not seem like they get much air at all. Sure there seems to be some attempt at ducting air to the intercoolers but there is a bunch of stuff in the ducts, like fog lights, and the openings them selves are much smaller that the S4 counterparts. Furthermore there are no exit vents in the wheel well, Like on the S4, RS4 (http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/14326/rs4_venting.jpg). I would assume the RS6 (http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/14326/rs6-intercooler.jpg) has wheel well venting too.

Since nobody has come up with a FMIC for the A6 yet, I was wondering if anybody has toyed with improving the airflow through the intercoolers. I was thinking that venting the wheel well could be helpful but not sure how to go about it. I was wondering if a S4 wheel vent could be adapted or added to the A6 wheel vent or possibly could the RS6 wheel liner be modified to fit.

Also, I would be interested to hear if anyone has done things to improve airflow to the intercoolers. Obviously I could remove the fogs, I personally don't like this. But maybe there are some other things, like putting air scoops on the belly pan, or maybe there is something else you have tried or thought of.

Your thoughts and images are appreciated.
Old 06-11-2004, 06:50 AM
Craggy Old Man

Default drkangel(Rick) took S4 wheel well vented pieces and grafted them into his A6 liners.

Maybe he can elaborate.
I for one would love to get rid of the fog lights, never use them.
Old 06-11-2004, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

same here, with xenons I cant even tell when the fogs are on
Old 06-11-2004, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would trade fogs for better intercooler flow in a second. Fogs are useless.
Old 06-11-2004, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Grafting S4 wheel vents

Yes that is exactly what I was thinking too, hopefully drkangel(Rick) has some images. Maybe if he is listening he could give some thoughts on the effectiveness of this mod.
Old 06-11-2004, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I agree with your functional logic

The fogs are sorta useless for enhancing diver visibility. However they can assist in helping other drivers see you. Plus if you run the fogs/no headlight option, they make good city lights and can actually be used as "fog" lights. Also the fogs can be adjusted so they illuminate the ditches (good for deer spotting).

But lastly, they look good. They help balance out the car. Removing them would leave nice holes, and it would look like something was missing. Maybe if someone made a nice grill that had no foglight hole. I will also point out that you have not actually traded fogs for better flow yet (at least your pic poster does not show it).
Old 06-11-2004, 07:52 AM

Default I've gotten rid of my fogs.... useless things...

I tried to fab custom mesh grilles but they got destroyed in the crash and I'm too lazy to do it again.... will probalby try once I have more time and do the fender liner venting ( might just use small mesh there too....

regards,
Old 06-11-2004, 08:02 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Can I have them then??? I need new fogs...
Old 06-11-2004, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Frankenliner and fogs removed

I too have grafted the S4 vents onto the A6 wheel wells. It's not pretty, but then again, you can't really see it, either. I remove my fogs for the track, and replace them with misters attached to the headlamp washer hoses. I have added a foot switch above the "dead pedal" to activate the 'ad hoc' misters.

Result - On the track at Lime Rock in 95+ degree weather 2 days ago - no heat soak. I hit the misters for about 5-10 seconds or so per lap. At the end of the run, there was no dampness by the IC, so it evaporated fairly well. I'd have loved to run with a VAG connected to log intake temps, but that's not allowed...
Old 06-11-2004, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Frankenliner and fogs removed

Both mods sound really cool. I would like to see some VAGcom data for each icremental change. I guess it would be nice to see temp data just for the venting, then just for the fog removal, and then with the misters.

BTW, your mister solution is great!

Do you have any pics from your wheel well mod?

Quick Reply: Improving airflow over the intercoolers (2.7t/Allroad)