A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Installing Koni's + H&R tomorrow Q ->bumpstops, stiffness etc.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 10:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Koni's + H&R tomorrow Q ->bumpstops, stiffness etc.

Installing Koni's + H&R tomorrow Q about bumpstops, stiffness etc.

Hi guys

I'm installing a set of KONI sports and H&R springs on my FWD A6 tomorrow.
I'm planning to set the height adjustment to low for the fronts and to middle in the rear.
I read a post where one of the guys with a similar combination was riding on the bumpstops. From you experience is that common? Do I need to trim the bumpstops a little bit to make sure that this won't happen?

Also I would like to make the car rotate a little bit in the turns, so I'm planning to set up the stiffness to 40% front and 60% rear... I know that most of the guys here have the Quarto versions so I'm sure not too much advice can be given...

Anyway please let me know if you have any advice or hit's and tip for the installation.
I tried to do the fronts last Sunday thinking that it won't be that difficult but I figure out that it was way more complicated that I thought...

Thanks
Chris

PS Do you know if there are rear sway bars for FWD A6s?
Old 06-26-2009, 03:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

OK I found the answers ...
So the bumpstops in the VW/Audis are springs not pieces of rubber as usual - so I won't need to modify anything.

Sway bars are not available for FWD cars so we done with this too

So everything seems good and I'm looking forward to tomorrow's installation.
The only real problem is that I'll probably need to roll my fenders due to the low offset wheels that I have...
Old 06-29-2009, 12:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey guys!
I just wanted to report my experience from installing H&R springs and Koni sport shocks on my FWD A6.

First of all the bumpstops are the regular rubber bumpstops... the general rule is to cut part of the bumpstop when you lower a car. That's because otherwise you will be riding on the bumpstops all the time make the ride really harsh (ask me how I know :P).
Anyway I'm mentioning all these because I read a review where from a guy that had exactly that problem on his A6 with H&R.

Since I didn't want to go too extreme I just cut one of the bumpstop sections and I greatly advice anyone doing that to do the same (cut at least one section - maybe even two).

I adjusted the Konis to be ~40% stiff at the front and ~60% stiff at the rear (just to make the car more playful allowing it to rotate more easily).

I have to say that I'm very (pleasantly) surprised by how comfortable is the ride... honestly very close to stock in comfort but more firm which give you confidence in higher speeds. I think the Konis yellows with the H&R are really a very good combination...

The installation was a bit more involving at the front and super easy at the back. The back shocks and springs (FWD) can be all be swapped by removing two bolts!
Yes two bolts - I didn't even had to remove the wheels (since I did the swap in a lift).

The car has the lower offset A5 wheels which complement the look but rub a tiny bit once in a while, so I'll need to roll the fenders sometime in the near future.

Pictures:
Before:

Bumpstop:

New vs Old:

Just after the installation:
Old 06-29-2009, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

the drop is looking good!
Old 06-29-2009, 03:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks!
Btw one more thing that I would like to comment is that the KONI's don't have three positions for the rings where the spring rest as expected so the height can not be adjusted - but I was more than happy with the 1,75/1,5 drop