A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Instrument cluster background lighting not all on

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 07:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument cluster background lighting not all on

I have a 1999 Audi A6 (2.8L 30V quattro) and am currently experiencing an issue with the dash lights. I recently had to pull the ABS module and send it off to Module Masters to be rebuilt (everything seems good on that end), however, somehow in the process I managed to drain my battery (probably left a light on in the car). Anyway, after replacing the ABS module, I had to jump the car off in order to make sure the module was in good shape before I had a chance to replace the battery. When I was driving the car, the instrument cluster background lighting did not light up all the way...meaning the lower left side of the speedometer and the lower right side of the tachometer are not lit.

I thought perhaps the bad battery was causing the abnormal behavior, but when I replaced the battery today, the cluster light problem still persists.

Could this be as simple as a blown fuse, or would that have taken out all the dash lights? Is there a way to replace bulbs in the instrument cluster?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 08-25-2010, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I gather the potentiometer adjustment next to the headlight switch does not change anything. Right?

You might try removing the headlight switch and checking the connector wiring at the back of the switch.

To remove the headlight switch: Turn the switch **** to OFF, push the **** inward, and then twist the **** clockwise a bit...the whole switch will come out.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I tried the dimmer switch last night and that didn't have any effect on the problem.

I pulled the headlight switch this evening, and everything looked fine. I also pulled the fuse for the instrument cluster and it was fine (if it wasn't the whole cluster would be out, but I just wanted to make myself feel better)

Any other suggestions? Are there lightbulbs or LEDs or anything that can be replaced in the instrument cluster?
Old 08-25-2010, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

if you tap in the areas that no longer lit does it light flicker at all?
either way possibly couple LEDs and resistors are bad,
I have seen that happened to some clusters during jumping the battery in the car. It could be repaired.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Update:

So, I didn't do anything and it has fixed itself. Doesn't help anyone with similar problems, but I'm not going to mess with it until is starts doing it again.

Thanks for all the suggestions