A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

interior trim coming undone......

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default interior trim coming undone......

i have two sections of trim on the interior coming undone and was wondering if anyone else has had the same and how they've fixed it...first is on the rear door, the leather grained vinyl that's right above the wood trim piece, there has been a 2-3" section that has been unglued since i bought the car 8 years ago, never has been a problem, but would still like to fix it, the only problem is it's on the rear door and the window doesn't roll down all the way so i can't get the best access to it - is this something that i can put a hair dryer on to reactivate the glue and then just press it into place?
the second is the passenger side dashboard, where it meets the A pillar, whatever it's made of, some sort of stiff foam wrapped in the same leather grained vinyl, it has begun to pull up - i've tried pushing it into place but it just comes back up - again, is the something that's glued down that i can use a hair dryer or some other method on?
thanks for any recommendations
Old 08-03-2011, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VONBOTTLE
i have two sections of trim on the interior coming undone and was wondering if anyone else has had the same and how they've fixed it...first is on the rear door, the leather grained vinyl that's right above the wood trim piece, there has been a 2-3" section that has been unglued since i bought the car 8 years ago, never has been a problem, but would still like to fix it, the only problem is it's on the rear door and the window doesn't roll down all the way so i can't get the best access to it - is this something that i can put a hair dryer on to reactivate the glue and then just press it into place?
the second is the passenger side dashboard, where it meets the A pillar, whatever it's made of, some sort of stiff foam wrapped in the same leather grained vinyl, it has begun to pull up - i've tried pushing it into place but it just comes back up - again, is the something that's glued down that i can use a hair dryer or some other method on?
thanks for any recommendations

One of the things I could suggest is "contact cement". This is what we used to fix the roof liner cloth on an older Audi long time ago and it works really well -given the temperatures in a hot summer, this stuff does not peel off or melt. Just follow instructions on how to use it.

Some other plastic / vinyl parts could be refinished if you consult a body shop and ask their advice. They usually have cloth / vinyl stuff that would match the color.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

I would recommend removing the door panel and using 3M high strength contact adhesive...comes in a spray can. You spray adhesive on both sides, let it set/dry and then press the two surfaces together.

Any material with foam backing that has come loose is pretty much toast....I've repaired headliners that have foam back material and when the foam backing breaks down gluing the material back up is difficult because of the crap behind it as well as the surface level difference if you manage to soak enough adhesive there to stick it up!

So if the foam backing is gone you're pretty much going to have to remove all the material and replace it or accept a crappy looking reglue.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
So if the foam backing is gone you're pretty much going to have to remove all the material and replace it or accept a crappy looking reglue.
Yes, this is exactly what we ended up doing. As a matter of fact, we tried fixing the existing but the result was so nasty that we removed it completely and replaced it with new sponge sheet and new cloth altogether.