A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Japanese build quality horror story

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2001, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Japanese build quality horror story

Courtesy of bimmer.org (at least the dealership was nice!):

I'd like to recount my friend's horror story with her CL type S...

First day of delivery, she noticed massive paint bubbles on the rear quarter of her car, as well as signs of overspray on the rear brake light cluster. Hood was misaligned (one side slightly higher than the other) as well as front bumper. Window seal on the windshield CLEARLY coming off. Of course she refused delivery of the vehicle and they tried to relocate another CL type S for her. The second CL type S she got, the cruise control buttons weren't connected, the water drainage pipe in the A pillar wasn't properly attached hence causing a massive flood inside her cabin when it rains, front bumper once again wasn't aligned properly, and the ABS powerpump broke down TWICE already. She's waiting for it to break down one more time so she can claim it as lemon and have Acura buy the car back and get a Lexus IS wagon.

I jokingly told her that she bought a BMW rebadged as an Acura. Although she said the service at the Acura dealership was impeccable.
Old 11-12-2001, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Japanese? uh, aren't those just redressed Accords built in Kentucky?

Only Integra and RL/Legend are made in Japan
Old 11-12-2001, 04:45 PM

Default And Audis are just fancy VWs?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 11-12-2001, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default perhaps, but they are made in Germany at least, and don't have the American build quality...

...problems that plague the Accord/TL platform (shoddy assembly, transmissions, etc). The Legend was the LAST Acura I'll ever buy, with their current trend.

TL/CL may be cheap, you certainly are getting what you pay for. The Accord is an excellent economy car that'll run for years. Acura is targeting the luxury performance market, which they are missing with their current offerings.
Old 11-12-2001, 10:16 PM
Elder Member

Default have a friend with a first year 3.2TL

No problems. Every car maker makes lemons. In every country.

Given the problems I've had with my A6, I'm not sold on German quality. My US built Saturn was FAR better, and it was 8 years old when I got rid of it. I think it would still be better off right now if I still had it, despite the fact that it would be 10 years old.

Did I mention neither of my front windows rolls down correctly after 2 years on my A6? Wonderful. Oh, and how about the check engine light that comes on every six months like clockwork? Wonderful. It does quite a sell job on my friends who I try to impress with my expensive car.