A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

japanese reliability vs german style and performance

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I don't think he was complaining.

How could anyone?

Very tasteful.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would look for a CPO 2002 instead.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Thank you. Just never know if someone works in a sensitive environment.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yep, still the best Italian car I've ever owned!
Old 11-08-2005, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default 2nd tranny on our '00 TL

But thats been it, besides oil changes / brake pads and rotors in 97k miles. The big 105k service is coming up though (timing belt, water pump, plugs, wires, etc).
Old 11-08-2005, 05:44 PM

Default German Performance?

If that Avant is a 2.8 liter motor, you won't be getting any performance. ...and if it is a 2.7t, you won't get off cheap.

I had the same decision a couple of years ago moving from a 150k Legend to a 2000 2.7t sedan.

I LOVE driving my car! I HATE maintaining it. Think of it like this - we replace MAF's as often as Acura owners replace oil filters. Sort of a routine thing to do.

Lot's of electical gremlins and everything cost $500 to fix. Pulled a CEL? - 500 bucks.
Need front brakes? - 500 bucks Rears too? - 500 bucks.

The ONLY way to buy that car is to get an extended warranty froma reputable company. I got one and it has bailed me out many times. New: Transmission; Window switch; seat switch; head gasket; turn signal lever; turn signal lever (again) blah blah blah.

The car drives me crazy when it is in the shop and I absolutely love it when it's not.

If I had it to do over again, I would - but ONLY with a warranty.

Good Luck!
Old 11-08-2005, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default are you sure about Japanese cars

Quote from Auto insider (The detroit news) -
"The Japanese automaker is recalling 775,000 trucks and SUVs after customers told government investigators the vehicle's ball joints collapsed without warning, leading to a loss of steering control and sometimes thousands of dollars of damage." + another problems with headlights might go off for no reason / hmmm Tacoma steering problems ,corolla or camry Oil Gel Engine ... if you like to read more just go to yahoo.com and search toyota problems or something and you might be suprice ;o)<ul><li><a href="http://www.businessweek.com/1998/51/acovstory.htm">businessweek mag story</a></li></ul>
Old 11-08-2005, 08:51 PM

Default Re: japanese reliability vs german style and performance

I say go for it. I got something extremely similar to the deal u are looking at: 2000 A6 (sedan) with 78k for $13k. Oh, it's a 2.7T. =)

I had to spend a couple of grand on it when I first got it, but that included a timing belt change, and full tune-up, but it's worth it.

Come on...a car like this, for $13k ...

Sorry, u can't even begin to compare how a car like this feels when u drive it down the road or on the fast lane, vs a Japanese car.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:27 PM

Default Any european car requires a little more care.

But's it's worth it.

If you can find an S6 get it!

It's the ultimate sleeper car!
Old 11-08-2005, 11:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I choose a 99 A6 Avant over a New 2004 TL 2 years ago, long respnse

Sorry about the long story here...

I really liked the TL and the assumed reliability...BUT...I am so use to driving German it did not feel the same. At the time I had a 2002 Turbo Beetle and 85 Westfalia! hehe Still and all, NOt the same driving experience so I put off the TL and was seriously looking at a Passat.

Then I stumbled across my Avant at a friends used-car dealer and he let me take it for the weekend which became 8 days before buying it. Got it for $26K CDN which was good up here at that time and supported my friend. Only had 50K Miles on it too.

My car was not well looked after. Broken interior plastics, lots of marring on the outside, chewed bits in the back, lack of maintenance. HOWEVER, it had a year of AUDI warranty on it still, was the perfect colours for us (blue and black) and was available. These never show up here on the West Coast of Canada.

I found out who owned it before me a called them. They weren't the most responsive to my call but I was able to get a feel for them; they could've cared less that this was a premium luxury car. The wife had ripped the front end off three times on low curbs backing up and that did it for them. They had 3 very small children and dogs; hence the embattled interior. I also found out this was a 2-year lease return in Alberta, hence the sand-blasted outside appearance. HMMM oh well I had it now.

My local dealer replaced most of the busted cupholders, ashtrays, latches (all kid-related I am sure) and I found some bits on eBay and bought new parts for the rest. End result was a completely working and restored interior for about $200 and some time. I had it detailed and the outside came back up really well.

Mechanically; had the tranny fluid changed immediately and most fluids. make sure you do this to be sure. Had the instrument cluster replaced under warranty for a almost completely faded info centre.

So after 2 years and 20K miles; left CV boot torn (a week after left upper control arm replaced, HMMM) $70 and $300 respectively but that did include a 4 wheel alignment which I wanted anyhow. New battery for $105.

Beautiful car to drive and be in. Just love it to death still. The Quattro IS WONDERFUL. The interior room with the seats down is amazing; you'll be very surprised. Expect it to be higher maintenance than SOME other brands but it will return and experience worthy of any extra costs. Mine has been very reliable I would say. Under $500 for 2 years and 20K miles on a 6 year old car ain't bad.

Some would say the 2.8 is a dog and the performance not worthy of the Audi branding. I do not expect high performance from this car but it is solid, comfortable, and quite fast.

Have fun deciding!

Bruce

I have no regrets. Go for it.

Quick Reply: japanese reliability vs german style and performance