A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

JHM Drivetrain Stabilizer to Eliminate Snub Mount?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default JHM Drivetrain Stabilizer to Eliminate Snub Mount?

I've always been allured by the idea of running only electric fans and no clutch fan. To completely eliminate the fan, pulley, and bracket would require rerouting of the belt, relocation of the tensioner and potentially the idler, and deletion of the front snub mount on the engine. I'm not an engineer, so my hunch that the drivetrain stabilizer would be sufficient to eliminate the snub mount might be incorrect, but it's worth looking into.

I've got the fanless timing belt shroud to replace the one on my car that has the fan support and snub mount on it, so all I'll need to do is source an electric fan to replace the clutch fan (not too difficult), reroute the belt, and stabilize the driveline/engine assy another way, like that drivetrain support. Do you guys think it is possible, or is the snub mount absolutely necessary?
Old 04-07-2011, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

isn't the snub the front engine mount? the DTS is underneath the drivetrain a bit behind the engine, not sure how that would take the place of the snub - i would think without the snub, your engine would torque it's way out of the motor mounts, not to mention it would be vibration city. the DTS merely limits the drivetrain slack....anyone correct me if i'm wrong, i'm far from a tech guru
Old 04-07-2011, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Assuming rigidity of all the hardware holding the different parts of the engine and transmission together, the engine and transmission are an assembly, so I'm having trouble understanding the functional difference between the drivetrain stabilizer and the snub mount. They seem redundant; they both brace the engine against rotation on the front axle's rotational axis, so it would seem that with one functioning properly, the other would be unnecessary.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

it would be one thing if the DTS were actually near the engine, yes the engine and drivetrain are an assembly, but that doesn't mean they'll be rigid. if you do that, that leaves three points of where the engine is stabilized and that is on the underside of the whole assembly, most of the mass of the engine is above that, i think it's still going to vibrate like hell. isn't the engine creating the rotational forces that cause the drivetrain's movement? if so, i don't think stabilizing the drivetrain is going to quell all those forces....before you do anything, why not install the DTS, then remove just the snub donut, still leaving the mount in there and see if it works - if indeed it works, then proceed with your plans with the snub mount deletion
Old 04-07-2011, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That's a good point, but I was only going to buy/build a drivetrain stabilizer if it would allow me to eliminate the snub mount. Otherwise, I'd probably just stick with factory stuff. The Touareg doesn't appear to have a snub mount, and it's got low range 4wd, which would put a proprtionately greater load on the engine/transmission/subframe mounts, so I wonder how its mounting differs such that it does not need a snub mount to stabilize the engine.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

i believe the touareg has an entirely different mounting system for the engine/drivetrain

i would stop cutting out components on the car
Old 04-08-2011, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

If you do the track density 034 engine/trans mounts, you will not need the front snub mount.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Will I need the stabilizer or will those four do?
Old 04-08-2011, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by nitrorocket
If you do the track density 034 engine/trans mounts, you will not need the front snub mount.
your basing that off of?
Old 04-08-2011, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

My 15 years as a professional car builder... In the drag cars, I just use motor front and mid plates instead of actual normal mounts. Then the motor plate strut controls fore and aft movement. On cars at the 1000hp level I have still gotten away with the factory mounting points with poly mounts on some chassis setups.

The Audi A6's have a very good factory motor and trans mount placement. The only downside is the are way to soft of mounts for any type of performance and feel. Much better then most american vehicles I have worked with placement though. I have run my personal A6 both with and without and have seen no difference after the track mounts. The motor/trans just does not move anymore... at all... and I have a stage 3+ car with the 6 speed. Lol

The snubber on these cars simply helps eliminate excessive engine torqing under hard acceleration. The stock motor mounts are very soft to eliminate vibrations and make the car appear to run very smooth. The front snubber acts as a "safety" to prevent excessive engine movement if you start to really push the car hard with the stock mounts. And especially if a mount were to seperate and fail completely. Hence why the snubber housing is darn near twice the size of the snubber itself. It can move within the housing until it "hits" the housing wall under extreme loading.

I had wasted money on the front snubber upgrade originally, but its not needed with the track density mounts at all, motor doesnt barely move. Realy helps shifter feel having the better mounts too.

Hope this helps...

Last edited by nitrorocket; 04-08-2011 at 11:06 AM.

Quick Reply: JHM Drivetrain Stabilizer to Eliminate Snub Mount?