A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

JHM FMIC Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 09:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JHM FMIC Kit

Has anyone used this FMIC from JH Motorsports? It is cheaper than any comparable SMIC I have come across but it does raise a few concerns. This thing is as thick as the condenser and radiator combined so airflow will definitely be restricted. You can't remount you aux fan either but they do offer another fan kit for an additional $200. Also it looks like the top half of the intercooler that connects to the driver's side turbo is completely restricted of airflow behind the bumper. This is my daily driver, often in stop and go traffic so I am not sure the cost is worth the risk. Any thoughts or experience on this would be appreciated. Thanks

http://jhmotorsports.com/shop/catalo...d5d1f118182b9e
Old 01-17-2011, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

how much boost are you running? whhere do you live? what are your IATs? FMIC on this car is pointless, unless your experiencing knocking, running larger turbos you shouldnt have the ko3s anywhere near past what the smics can do, if so augment with better airflow in the front, airflow evacuation in the rear, and think about going with a little WAI to off set hard boost runs in high temps.

I NEEVER like fron mount ICs that cover the radiator and condensor, especially ones as thick as this one. will you be fine? yes, but its not the best solution for intake charge cooling, just the quickest.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 2.7Lturbo
how much boost are you running? whhere do you live? what are your IATs? FMIC on this car is pointless, unless your experiencing knocking, running larger turbos you shouldnt have the ko3s anywhere near past what the smics can do, if so augment with better airflow in the front, airflow evacuation in the rear, and think about going with a little WAI to off set hard boost runs in high temps.

I NEEVER like fron mount ICs that cover the radiator and condensor, especially ones as thick as this one. will you be fine? yes, but its not the best solution for intake charge cooling, just the quickest.
Thanks for the reply. I am in Colorado so high altitude and varying IAT's depending on the time of year. We often reach 100F throughout the summer months. Boost on my MTM chip runs about 1 bar, maybe just a bit over. As far as airflow, I already have a CAI as well as a Catback and I will probably upgrade the downpipes when I do the turbos. The reason I am looking to upgrade the SMIC is because I have a turbo out and I am going to replace them with K04's.
Honestly I agree with you on the FMIC as I am not a big fan either of anything blocking the airflow to the radiator and condenser. The main purpose of this thread was to compare real world experience of the FMIC in daily driving as compared to some of the SMIC's on the market for twice the price. I know AWE and AR both make great SMIC's but they are a hefty price to pay.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I did however come across this SMIC by CX Racing for half the price of most on the market but I cannot find much real world info on it for performance, recovery, and reliability. For comparison purposes the stock A6/S4 plastic end tank SMIC has 11 charge rows with a core volume of 155cu in. The RS4 SMIC is not much larger at 162cu in but it has 15 charge rows and cast aluminum end tanks. This CX Racing SMIC is an inch thicker than stock with a core volume of 210cu in and aluminum cast end tanks but only 11 charge rows. I know this is not as impressive as the massive 254cu in AWE or the colossal 360cu in of the AR's but I am thinking it should be sufficient for the standard K04 upgrade. Any thoughts on these CX Racing SMIC's?

http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant...y_Code=Audi_A4
Attached Images  
Old 01-17-2011, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

thos cx racing coolers would be PERFECT!