A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Just got 2000 A6 Avant - HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got 2000 A6 Avant - HELP!!!

Hi guys,

New to the forums here. Just got a 2000 A6 Avant Quattro 2.8.
Everything seemed fine, but yesterday the car started overheating while driving home. This was the first time we had driven the car without the heat on, which was also working fine. Replaced the fluid, and let it run to see what happens. Now no heat once warmed up, normal warm up time, and then keeps climbing from there. I know I wanted to flush the system as it had green coolant in it when I got it. But what else is there? Thermostat? Water Pump? Previous owners said timing belt had been done within past 2 years, would they have had thermostat and water pump done then? Trying to fix on a budget so any help would be appreciated. Also noticed that the first time I went to pass someone, it revved high and slammed into next gear. Tranny service? Is there a way to do it right and DIY? Or am I stuck going to a dealer on that? I plan to tackle the timing belt job myself as I am pretty mechanically inclined but am still pretty new to Audis. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

okay well first do the usual check and make sure the fluid is going through the system smoothly cuz it could be the radiator.
other than that it could be a thermostat or a head gasket.
someone told me the other day that if the car is idling funny (IE high, low, high, low, high, low... like an old school automatic choke) it is most likely the head gasket.
but i dont know what the consequences are for running non G-12 coolant in the system you should probably look that up first, as that could be the cause for your issue.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default bleed cooling system, possible stuck thermostat

Originally Posted by JusJax
car started overheating while driving home. This was the first time we had driven the car without the heat on
This sounds like a stuck thermostat (if cooling system was bled properly to begin with).

Originally Posted by JusJax
Replaced the fluid... Now no heat once warmed up, normal warm up time, and then keeps climbing from there.
This sounds like air in the cooling system. Search the C5 forum for "bleeding cooling system" and "no heat" and read up on other posts. Rule out air in the system by bleeding it, then see if thermostat is, indeed, stuck.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:07 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Start by replacing the coolant temp sensor, so you can have more confidence in the reading.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Start by replacing the coolant temp sensor, so you can have more confidence in the reading.
Make sure you buy the correct coolant sensor by the part number because I ended up having to buy two different ones in error.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
replacing that coolant temp sensor in that damn thing is almost as hard as doing the thermostat. haha not literally but that sensor is seriously a pain in the ***.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for all the advice. After looking into it, I've decided to replace the radiator and tank, do the timing belt/waterpump/thermostat, and the valve cover gaskets while I'm at it. Just got my blauparts.com tb kit and tools, going to start on the job tomorrow morning. Saw some reviews online saying blauparts doesn't send good parts, I am here to disagree. Here is what I got in the box:

Saleri waterpump
Elwis valve cover gaskets
Flennor serpentine belt
Gates timing belt
NTN tb tensioner
tb idler
TeileQualitat thermostat
Loctite thread sealer and anti-seize
(4) 1.5L Ravenol G12+ coolant

The tool kit is clean and looks well taken care of. Everything arrived less than a week after I placed the order, I'm in NH btw. Looking forward to getting the job going. Stay posted for updates when I can and most likely some questions and advice along the way. Wish me luck. Thanks again for all the great advice.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:57 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Missing some seals, IMHO.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 74 Likes on 73 Posts

my blau kit came with crank and cam seals and all tensioners and rollers. the instructions were easy to follow.
give yourself a weekend though.
my guess is with the green coolant someone has been in there before you and didn't fix it. may have dumped the car on you. i assume you did not get a ppi.

good luck
Old 03-05-2013, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Airbag
my blau kit came with crank and cam seals and all tensioners and rollers. the instructions were easy to follow.
give yourself a weekend though.
my guess is with the green coolant someone has been in there before you and didn't fix it. may have dumped the car on you. i assume you did not get a ppi.

good luck

Yea I do have the seals and everything, just didn't list them for some reason. I guess that's what I get for not being thorough in my post lol. After checking into it, the coolant was actually the goldish "global" coolant, which many people have tried to convince me is sufficient for Audis. I believe otherwise at this point. As for the ppi I did not get one, it was essentially dumped on me. I do want to learn as much as I can, I'm pretty new to Audis but am already hooked for life. I'll post how everything went when all is said and done.

Quick Reply: Just got 2000 A6 Avant - HELP!!!