A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Just got 2000 A6 Avant - HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JusJax
Yea I do have the seals and everything, just didn't list them for some reason. I guess that's what I get for not being thorough in my post lol. After checking into it, the coolant was actually the goldish "global" coolant, which many people have tried to convince me is sufficient for Audis. I believe otherwise at this point. As for the ppi I did not get one, it was essentially dumped on me. I do want to learn as much as I can, I'm pretty new to Audis but am already hooked for life. I'll post how everything went when all is said and done.
Take your time and pay attention to the instructions. Nothing worse than doing a job twice when once will do. Good luck. Ask if you have questions.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

OK I have a question now. Locked the crank using the included tool and instructions from blau. Now when I try to put the cam lock tool on, the cams don't line up. Is that because it was badly out of time? What is my next step to resolve this? Trying to get a lot done today so please help ASAP! Thanks guys I will be waiting with my breath held.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:54 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

OK I have a question now. Locked the crank using the included tool and instructions from blau. Now when I try to put the cam lock tool on, the cams don't line up. Is that because it was badly out of time? What is my next step to resolve this? Trying to get a lot done today so please help ASAP! Thanks guys I will be waiting with my breath held.
What point in the job are you at? Reassembly? If so, you just need to adjust cam timing. Leaving the new belt in place, loosen the bolt for each cam sprocket (use the bar, one side at a time) two turns, use a puller to pop each sprocket free of the camshafts, set the bar in place, and tighten down the sprocket bolts (drivers side first).

There is a ton written on this on this forum. STFA.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 74 Likes on 73 Posts

If you are mechanically inclined and willing to get dirty you will be fine .. and i would say doing your own timing belt where you have to pull the whole front of the car off would put you in the mechanically inclined catagory ..

A couple of things you MAY want to consider while you have the front end of the car off ...
1. Have your Alternator looked at depending on mileage .. you can have the bearings replaced or just have it refreshed .. coz its like RIGHT THERE ..

i disconnected the rad and swung it right out of the way just to make it easier on my back . if you do this disconnect the rubber hose at the engine block sid e.. much less frigile than the rrad ...

biggest paint in the *** of the whole freakim job ? getting the heater core hose off to bleed it .. freakin unbelieveable .. good luck ..
Old 03-09-2013, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

i would say if he is locking the cams he is just getting started ... a pic is worth a thousand words here .. its been a while since i did mine .. are your large holes on the cam both on the inside ? if it were a long way off
1. it would never run
2. you have way bigger problems than a timing belt.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Airbag
i would say if he is locking the cams he is just getting started ... a pic is worth a thousand words here .. its been a while since i did mine .. are your large holes on the cam both on the inside ? if it were a long way off
1. it would never run
2. you have way bigger problems than a timing belt.
Yes I was waiting for some tools to arrive and I have just locked the crank and both large holes are on the inside. It is off by just a little bit really, maybe a tooth or two? The car was running before as I said earlier in this thread, it was overheating and giving me a cam sensor code. I am also replacing the valve cover gaskets, PCV hose, coolant tank, and radiator, so I did swing the carrier to the side.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default finished?

Hey guys got an update on the whole timing belt job and such. In my first post I mentioned the overheating and I found the culprit in doing the tb service. The water pump impeller had separated from the shaft, which was allowing it to catch at idle and keep things flowing, but as soon as any throttle was applied, would begin to slip. Replaced everything that came with the basic Blau kit and it started right up. No more overheating, and my heat is back too. I have to say the job was really straight forward and the Blau kit made it so easy. Had some mechanic friends tell me it was going to be a nightmare, by now I'm getting used to hearing that. I won't worry as much next time. Looks like part of being an Audi guy is dealing with non-Audi guys who don't get it. lol. So now that that is done, I am experiencing a transmission issue. I will start STF and see what I can find. Thanks to all who assisted me through my little panic attacks lol.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default belt tensioner

You didn't list a setpentine (accessory) belt tnesioner in your kit. It came in the kit I used. But....it started making a hellish squealing rattle after about 20K miles. Had to have it replaced at a dealer, since we were on a cross country trip. The factory replacement has been fine for 40K more miles. Just a lot easier to change with the front end off.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hey guys got an update on the whole timing belt job and such. In my first post I mentioned the overheating and I found the culprit in doing the tb service. The water pump impeller had separated from the shaft, which was allowing it to catch at idle and keep things flowing, but as soon as any throttle was applied, would begin to slip. Replaced everything that came with the basic Blau kit and it started right up. No more overheating, and my heat is back too. I have to say the job was really straight forward and the Blau kit made it so easy. Had some mechanic friends tell me it was going to be a nightmare, by now I'm getting used to hearing that. I won't worry as much next time. Looks like part of being an Audi guy is dealing with non-Audi guys who don't get it. lol. So now that that is done, I am experiencing a transmission issue. I will start STF and see what I can find. Thanks to all who assisted me through my little panic attacks lol.
Congratulations on your timing belt job. Keep us informed on your transmission issue. Lots of knowledge on this forum.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

congrats .. you are officially in .. you can wear your TB badge of honor. Bet you scared a few folks with the front end hanging off tho .. On my Blau kit they threw in the acc belt..

good Job ..

the first thing everyone says on the transmsion is " change the oil and filter" too bad .. Blau has a good kit you could have had shipped at the same time ..