A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Just got a speeding ticket 48 in a 25mph zone in New Jersey. What should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just got a speeding ticket 48 in a 25mph zone in New Jersey. What should I do?

I have no points on my license. The cop said he would help me in court, but I dont exactly know what he meant by that. Should I lawyer up. How many points is that? I rather have no points and just pay the fine. Any suggestions?
Old 04-08-2004, 10:14 AM

slow down..
Old 04-08-2004, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Go to court, admit your guilt, ask the judge if he can lower the fine...

and finally, go to traffic school. You can only do that every 18 months (at least that's the rule here in CA). Otherwise, it'll show on your ins. and your premiums increase.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:21 AM

Default where in new jersey?

basically what you do is go to court, and claim you weren't going that fast blah blah and you get it reduced, in some cases to a much less fine, sometimes no-point. if it is still a point fine sometimes the courts just double the fee and they end up not sending in the points. (this is not a rumor, it happened to me with a 4 point ticket). good luck, and be curteous, dress nice. you don't need a lawyer
Old 04-08-2004, 10:22 AM

Default You live in jersey? I didn't know they had points. if this is the case.......

find out how many points 23mph over is and if its 3 or less pay $50 for a defensive driving course and it will wipe out up to 3 points. If its more still plead not guilty and get a lawyer, a lawyer might not win for you but he will most likely lighten your point total. I currently am waiting for a hearing my lawyer cost me $150 I was doing 71 in a 45 which = 6 points. I'm hoping the lawyer can atleast wipe out 3 points and I'll take the driving course for the other 3. Good Luck!
Old 04-08-2004, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

LMAO
Old 04-08-2004, 10:33 AM
ESN
Elder Member

Default hire an attorney in the town where the ticket got issued who practices regularly ...

in that SPECIFIC municipal court. The attorney will then cut a deal with the municipal prosecutor. At best, you will plead guilty to a no point offense which carries a fine of several hundred dollars. This will require the cooperation of the arresting officer, with whom the prosecutor will consult before agreeing to plead down. At the very least, your attorney will be able to plead it down to a lesser speeding charge, carrying only 2 points.

You might succeed in doing all of this on your own, but just like all politics is local, so is all municipal court practice. With a local guy who is a member of the "club," you stand the best chance. Expect to pay your lawyer $500-$750.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:34 AM
ESN
Elder Member

I don't believe NJ offers a point reduction for a d.d. course.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Just got a speeding ticket 48 in a 25mph zone in New Jersey. What should I do?

I am a cop in San Francisco. You should go to court. Forget about a lawyer this is only an infraction. Admit guilt and plead to the judge to reduce the fine. You may be able to go to traffic school and have the point taken away. If you try to fight it you will probably lose and forfeit your option of reducing the fine and going to traffic school. Don't panic. It happens to all of us once in a while. Just take your medicine.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: hire an attorney in the town where the ticket got issued who practices regularly ...

Why would someone hire an attorney for a traffic ticket? That will cost a lot of money. Just go to court and ask for traffic school or a reduction in the fine. Even if you have to get a "point" so what?

Quick Reply: Just got a speeding ticket 48 in a 25mph zone in New Jersey. What should I do?