A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

keyless entry acting funny

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2002, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default keyless entry acting funny

My switchblade key thingie is acting up. It stopped working the other day, so I grabbed the 2nd one. It worked for about a day, and then it stopped also. Then it started to work again. Then it stopped. ... So now I have an intermittent keyless entry system. Any ideas? Thanks.

Harinder
Old 01-05-2002, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: keyless entry acting funny - had the same issue

Your key fob is not really broken (at least mine wasn't). Apparently, when one the buttons on the key fob are pressed while the fob is out of range from the car, the fob re-sets itself (looking for correct frequency??) and will cease communicating with the locks & alarm. The reset procedure is to press the key fob within range of the car, and then lock or unlock the door manually within 60 seconds of pressing the button on the fob. The fob will then re-sync with the lock & alarm system.

I'm guessing your problem is intermitent because you are probably unknowingly performing the re-sync sequence just to get into your car. (pressing fob button; button doesn't work; put key into car and open manually).

The owners manual details the procedure and causes, but long & short is don't press the key fob buttons if the car is out of range.
Old 01-06-2002, 08:34 AM
Elder Member

Default mine worked real funny yesterday

My car was locked. I managed to push the unlock button and pull the driver's door handle at the same time. The little button inside which indicates teh car is locked or unlocked rose as if it were unlocked. But the door didn't unlock. I locked and unlocked the car several times from the remote and the door remained locked even though the indicator rose and fell each time and the alarm properly armed and disarmed.

I ended up having to go inside and pull the door handle on the inside to unlock the door. I realized later that I probably could have stuck the key in the door and turned it to do it also. Of course, if this happened on one of the other three doors which don't have key locks, then I couldn't have done that with those.
Old 01-06-2002, 03:55 PM
dpd

Default Re: keyless entry acting funny

sounds like the batteries in the remotes are going dead