A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Knock on wood - looks like my shaking ("vibrating") steering wheel has been cured.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL! I was thinking the same thing!
Old 10-29-2003, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Mpuzach Very nice! Thanks for the great write up. Hope all goes well in the future
Old 10-29-2003, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, I had ALREADY edited it from "play with your vibration instrument."
Old 10-29-2003, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default This is great to hear....

I truly hope that all the work that went into the Hunter process works for your 4.2. AS I have stated before, think AoA actually has 2 problems on their hands, though I hope your issues are resolved!
Old 10-29-2003, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I guess it just depends upon what the root cause of the vibration is.

They're telling me it was being caused by wheel imbalance and flat-spotted tires. You're saying that it's actually rooted in the suspension and being exacerbated by the things they "fixed". Me - I don't have a clue. Obviously, I hope your theory proves inaccurate over the long term, but only time will tell. I tend to think through these things "logically", since I don't have the technical expertise to do so scientifically. Given that, I struggle with your position for two reasons:

1. Wouldn't an inherent design defect show up as symptomatic in most if not all samples? My understanding is that there are many 4.2s (represented here and otherwise) that do not and never have exhibited problems.

2. Perhaps this shows naivety on my part, but I have a tough time accepting the notion that a major auto manufacturer with VAG's resources and engineering prowess would turn out a product with such an obvious built-in defect, especially if it's relatively easily correctable as you suggest.

In the end, of course, all I care about is the end result over time. If things stay smooth, I'm a happy camper. If the vibes return as you say they will, there are going to be big problems. We'll see. Thanks very much for your thorough feedback, and I'll keep you posted.
Old 10-29-2003, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Good luck, I find it hard to believe that VAG would turn out something like this too

But it sure looks like that's what happened. Just read this board, it's a common problem.

pw
Old 10-29-2003, 07:34 AM
ESN
Elder Member

Default Remember the Tacoma Narrows Bridge...

We're all speculating here, of course, but the problem with the bridge was that it was too perfectly designed, 100% symetrical, which led to the resonant vibrations which literally shook the bridge apart. What if Audi designed the suspension just short of "too perfectly," so that other contributing factors must be present to present the harmonic dissonances resulting in the vibration. This might explain why the 4.2's seem to be most susceptible, and only then when the wheel & tire setup is enough off to provide the final incredient to the harmonic dissonance.

And, although AoA is taking a public "head in the sand" approach, who is to say what is really going on back in the Fatherland?
Old 10-29-2003, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the great writeup. Hopefully it will last.
Old 10-29-2003, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Hehe. I bet you di!
Old 10-29-2003, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Can't believe that Audi in Germany doesn't have people that could solve this problem w/eyes closed

After all, they have BTDT how many times? One of the largest auto makers in the world? Yes, they could easily solve this problem.

pw

Quick Reply: Knock on wood - looks like my shaking ("vibrating") steering wheel has been cured.