A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Koni FSD vs. Stock

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sounds like it to me also.

They sound like they're a little stiffer than the stock dampers but not so much to be over the top. It hardly makes any sense to go buy stock dampers as they're sure to be really expensive as compared to aftermarket.

Stephen
Old 04-29-2008, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

^ big 2nd I got mine form Mike and would highly recomend them
Old 04-29-2008, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Respect not due, but IMO your seat sensor is incorrectly calibrated and is lying to you...

I don't buy your qualitive adjectives of "feels stiffer or softer" as relating to damping. They relate to spring rate by definition. An over damped rebound will be "sluggish" in returning to SRH, Under damped rebound will be will "bouncy" in returning to SRH, independent of stiffer or softer springs.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default "Movement" No, a fuzzy word choice. Displacement, Yes. Springs are displacement sensitive devices...

Dampers are velocity sensitive devices. Both involve "movement".
Old 04-29-2008, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

So what is your recommendation on Mr. Kallen's original question?
Old 04-29-2008, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default well not entirely

a damper exerts force on both compression and rebound. In compression, the resistance/force will be additive to the spring, although its reaction differs ( the spring is displacement sensitive and the shock is motion sensitive, and maybe velocity sensitive).

But the bottom line is that a damper with more damping IS in fact more resistant to motion, which feels stiffer to one's butt. It can also cause it to become sluggish in reaction to some road irregularities whcih can do the same thing ( cause more imapcts)

Grant
Old 04-29-2008, 02:54 PM

Default Re: Koni FSD vs. Stock

thanks for all the insight (and theory too!). sounds like the Konis would be a good choice for me, but no one has really commented on whether they'd feel stiffer/firmer (or uncomfortably so). I'm OK with the feel of the stock (non-sport) shocks and don't want to lean to far to the firmer side of things. I know this isn't the sporty way to go, but I chose an A6 over an A4 for the very reason of softer suspension and more refined ride.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

He hasn't defined his springs, so one must assume stock, non sport? I'm not familiar with FSD apps.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:30 PM

Default I'm looking at FSDs and Eibach springs right now

they're sitting right here next to me, waiting for the weekend to be installed. I too want to preserve a comfy ride (currently non-sport) and i spent alotta time reading reviews to find it. The Eibach ProSystem sounded like the best bet, until I learned that Eibach no longer sells their dampers. The current incarnation of this setup seems to be the FSD/Eibach combo. From everything I read, it's exactly what I want...comfort around town (on crappy MI roads), and plenty of performance whenever I want it. I plan to post reviews after the install is done.

FYI, $850 for this combo was the lowest price i found (LTB Motorsports), and I looked ALOT.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default What do you mean by "motion sensitive"? =FW's "movement" fuzzy. Bump damping should be minimal, not

not worth discussing, only effective in preventing strong bump stop penetration under the maximum of bump amplitudes.

"shock is motion sensitive, and maybe velocity sensitive" You've got your maybe`s and is's backwards.

Another butt that needs recalibrating! Over damped is Blistien hype, not reality!

Quick Reply: Koni FSD vs. Stock