A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Koni sport shock install problems -- Day 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni sport shock install problems -- Day 2

Took my A6 back to indy installer to get my right height fixed. The koni people said there is no way the shock can raise the car's ride height. Installer removed one of the konis and compared it to the oe shock they replaced yesterday. The lower perch on the koni is 1/4" higher than oe and the shaft on the koni is >1" longer fully extended than oe sport shocks. The effect is that the spring is less compressed than with oe and raises the body. Front and rear, it's 27" from the ground to the highest point of the wheel well arch. No more hunkered down appearance. And my xenons won't adjust.
Anyone w/ a 02 4.2 w/ sport package be able to give me the F/R height ground to top of wheel arch?
I've also asked Audi dealer, but haven't rec'd a response. Many thanks for any assistance.
George
Old 03-15-2006, 01:29 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Default If the spring was less compressed (preloaded), the car would sit LOWER...

Sounds like either, you have the wrong shocks, or they are put in incorrectly.

I've installed a few Koni shocks, none have ever raised a car..
Old 03-15-2006, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Paging BostonDriver to the courtesy phone.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:16 AM

Default I had a similar issue when I first installed Konis...

The spring perch for the front Konis was approx 1/2" higher than the stock sport shocks resulting in a 1/2" higher ride height.

My first solution was to pull the shocks and have several new grooves cut in the shock at 1/4" intervals below the stock groove (a snap ring sits in the groove, the spring perch sits on the snap ring). The new grooves allowed me to change the spring perch location, and thus the ride height. Changing the spring perch location requires removing the shock. If you don't get it right the first time, you have to remove the shock again.

My second solution was to install coil overs. With a c/o set up you can dial-in ride height exactly relatively painlessly. I'm much more satisfied with this solution. If you want to convert your Konis to coil overs contact 2 Bennett (2bennett.com). I'm currently running 2 Bennett c/os on my car and am very happy with the set up.

FWIW, IMO the length of the shaft/spring preload has nothing to do with your problem. Regardless of what the spring/shock compression is while out of the car, when in the car the spring will be compressed further by the weight of the car. Ride height in this case, assuming correct install, is simply a matter of spring perch location.

Good luck