A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Leak into cabin filter from windshield

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here is a you tube vid I made I hope it helps:

The following users liked this post:
509Mathias (03-28-2022)
Old 07-20-2014, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vtraudt
Correct. How is it correctly installed and securely held in place and SEALED?

Ghetto fix: fill with silicon, push and clamp/hold/weight down?
I've got the same problem on the passenger side of the car. The cowling of the windshield sits right up against it on the driver side but it is not flush on the passenger side. Furthermore, there is not a lip for it to sit under. I spent a ton of time trying to figure out how to navigate it into the channel but the real problem is that it didn't get glued down like the driver side. I don't have any leaks into the actual compartment yet, but I'm not sure how that's been possible with the plastic tray sticking up about a quarter of an inch. I also double checked my cabin air filter this afternoon when servicing the master cylinder and there is still no evidence of water damage.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

Nice video! 2160P HD?
As for all those leaves and stuff…same thing happens right under the trunk lid…except the water collects, rots the leaves, and eventually rusts through the body and causes a trunk leak.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts

okay what am i missing here .. there is a piece that covers the base of the windshield wiper .. that sits in a grooved channel along the base of the windshield . when popped in it sits flush to the windshield. you can silicone this for sure and it wont show . i didnt but you could,. i even know guys that have siliconed the top of ths against the windshield , that will definitrly help but it looks kinda ghetto
then there is another cowling piece that fits onto that slips right over real tight at the base of that piece. covers the battery cabin filter ..everythig all the way along and has a hole for the battey and THAt has a cover .
the base of THAt piece has a rubber piece holding it down right across the car.

Are you sure you have all pieces in place ?
Attached Images  

Last edited by Airbag; 07-21-2014 at 06:23 AM.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I bet he doesn't have the cowling in the groove. If you get the groove cleaned out and the cowling in there correctly silicone is just overkill.

Last edited by Huskerbob; 07-21-2014 at 08:18 AM.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Huskerbob
I bet he doesn't have the cowling in the groove. If you the groove cleaned out and the cowling in there correctly silicone is just overkill.
i agree. I have NEVER had water ingress into the cabin and been through some pretty torential downpours.

of course the real danger to all this is that very sensitive and expensive TCM
Old 07-21-2014, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Airbag
i agree. I have NEVER had water ingress into the cabin and been through some pretty torential downpours.

of course the real danger to all this is that very sensitive and expensive TCM
Oh yeah, water on the passenger side floor is not good. Maybe the OP will let us know what he found out and if he got it fixed.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Airbag
okay what am i missing here .. there is a piece that covers the base of the windshield wiper .. that sits in a grooved channel along the base of the windshield . when popped in it sits flush to the windshield. you can silicone this for sure and it wont show . i didnt but you could,. i even know guys that have siliconed the top of ths against the windshield , that will definitrly help but it looks kinda ghetto
then there is another cowling piece that fits onto that slips right over real tight at the base of that piece. covers the battery cabin filter ..everythig all the way along and has a hole for the battey and THAt has a cover .
the base of THAt piece has a rubber piece holding it down right across the car.

Are you sure you have all pieces in place ?
Since I have the same problem minus the actual leak, I am willing to bet the cowling he is referring to is the one just below the wiper that sits just above being flush with the windshield. The lower cover with the battery cut out can still be maneuvered under it, but the top part does not sit flush against the window.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Gsrob
Since I have the same problem minus the actual leak, I am willing to bet the cowling he is referring to is the one just below the wiper that sits just above being flush with the windshield. The lower cover with the battery cut out can still be maneuvered under it, but the top part does not sit flush against the window.
Yup. And I think the culprit is the tight sharp groove mentioned in earlier post. The plastic has a matching lip that needs to be firmly pushed into the groove.

Above is ASSUMPTION, but I plant to take the wipers off and check it out. 2nd C5 A6 now that has that problem; this one rotted the entire convenience control module CCM (under carpet in front of driver seat) out.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 175 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by vtraudt
Yup. And I think the culprit is the tight sharp groove mentioned in earlier post. The plastic has a matching lip that needs to be firmly pushed into the groove.

Above is ASSUMPTION, but I plant to take the wipers off and check it out. 2nd C5 A6 now that has that problem; this one rotted the entire convenience control module CCM (under carpet in front of driver seat) out.
I had the same problem, root cause was a windshield replacement and the part of the plastic (at the bottom of the windshield that is designed to fit into the groove in the windshield surround) would not stay secure. After many attempts, I finally had to do the ghetto fix (a bead of black silicone caulk, leave to cure, repeat until it would seal). Now no leaks, but for a while there it was pouring in whenever it would rain.

Quick Reply: Leak into cabin filter from windshield