A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

left front turn signal not working...tried a lot so far...no luck.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 02:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default left front turn signal not working...tried a lot so far...no luck.

so for a few months now my left front turn signal has not worked. it doesn't flash when i signal to turn, it doesn't flash when i arm/disarm the alarm. the left side marker and left rear work fine. i'm getting a fast flash on the dash, as if a bulb was out. so far, i've replaced the bulb (even though it looked fine), replace the flasher switch in the dash, cleaned the contacts on the bulb holder and socket, swapped the bulb holders left to right...nothing. left signal still won't light. today i tested the voltage on both sides thinking it MUST be a wiring issue, but both sides tested the same! and i have no problems with the right side signal. i'm stumped. completely stumped. if i had more cash right now, this is about the time i'd break down and take it to the dealer, but i really can't afford that right now. electrical issues are not my strong suit. grrrrrr... anyone have ANY ideas?? THANKS!

Last edited by $chlitz; 07-10-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

Does the left front light with the hazard/4-way flashers?
Do you have a good ground at the front...check with an ohmmeter.
Is there voltage to one of the contacts on the LF turn signal with the bulb out? Use a DVM with the ground to OTHER than the other contact.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Does the left front light with the hazard/4-way flashers?
Do you have a good ground at the front...check with an ohmmeter.
Is there voltage to one of the contacts on the LF turn signal with the bulb out? Use a DVM with the ground to OTHER than the other contact.
it does NOT light when the hazards are on. it DOES, however, function as a parking/running light. there are three contacts on the socket in the headlight housing. i'm guessing one is ground, one is for the parking/running light, and one is for the turn signal. when i tested it with my multi-meter, with the turn signal ON, two contacts had no reading (assuming ground and running light) and the third fluctuated up and down (assuming flasher circuit). the right side, which has always functioned fine, gave the same readings. this would lead me to believe that maybe the ground is bad, but the fact that the running light circuit IS working, which appears to use the same ground, makes that impossible, right?

like i said, electronics are NOT my strong suit, so if you could give me any more direction as to what to check and how to check it, i would sure appreciate it! i'd LOVE to get this figured out...thanks!!
Old 07-11-2010, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

I'm guessing the turnsignal/hazard warning module is bad at this point.