A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Len Hunt wants more models!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2002, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Len Hunt wants more models!

not the Victoria's Secret kind either. Here's a shocker: Audi is to take on BMW! Gee, who knew?

Post courtesy of A4 forum. Very in-depth backgrounder on the future of VW/Audi.

So if Len were to ask me, I'd say you already have too many models and possible permutations. Keep it simple, figure out a marketing model and stick with it! Work on sales &amp; service and make customers deliriously happy, word of mouth will sell millions. My marketing suggestion - almost as good as a BMW for a much better price.<ul><li><a href="http://industryclick.com/microsites/magazinearticle.asp?mode=print&magazinearticleid=1 47465&releaseid=10140&srid=10250&magazineid=50&sit eid=26">Ward's World, party time</a></li></ul>
Old 05-08-2002, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ummm...fumes getting into Executive Row?

Audi to take on BMW is one thing...but VW to take on Mercedes? Sounds like L.L. Bean going after Versache. I think they'd do better to create a new marque to compete with Mercedes.

Besides if they just wait a few more years, both BMW and MB will have completed the upscale customer alienation that they've so successfully initiated by introducing models that the hoi poloi can afford.

And why doesn't Audi capitalize on some of the brand goodwill they own? Maybe the 2004 A6 as a Bugatti?

"Dear...I'm taking the Bugatti today" Kewl.
Old 05-08-2002, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It always amazes me...

how out of touch with the public these auto execs are. It may be a great car, but I think everyone on this forum already knows that the Phaeton will be a huge failure for veedub. And it won't enhance their brand image either, because it is a big, boring stody car in the eyes of VW's customers (young people). Something their parents would drive. Yuck.

If VW wanted to go after the American market, Piech should have hired an American. Most Americans will laugh if you ask them to compare VW and MB. VW should just be happy to no longer be the subject of jokes as they were for many years in America.

If VW as corporation, wants to move upmarket, it should concentrate on trying to sell its exisiting flagship, the Audi A8/S8, which is a great car with extremely poor sales in the US. We can only hope that the next generation A8 sells much better.

This distinction between luxury and sport/luxury is a ridiculous exercise in splitting hairs. Are AMG cars not Sporty? How about the SLK, CLK and SL? Are not the A8L and A6 3.0 more luxury sedans than a sports sedans? Why is the new A4 more luxurious and less sporty than the previous model? Doesn't this run contrary to the goals for the Audi marque? Isn't the TT more luxurious and less sporty than most of its competiton? What is the purpose of Audi S and RS models if the entire line is sporty? Isn't the new special edition GTI sporty? (Zerin from the S4 forum seems to think so)

I simply don't know what the hell is going on in the heads of these execs. Maybe they are senile (Piech is OLD). These strategies are terrible, so it's a good thing that both VW and Audi make up for it by producing great cars.

Sorry if this is a bit of a rant, but poor management of a brand I care about makes me angry. IMHO, Audi should be divested from VW and merge with Porsche. That company would make some amazing cars.

Nirad
'01 A6 2.7t
Old 05-09-2002, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Exactly how does "matching BMW's product portfolio" square w/"Never Follow," Lenny-Boy?
Old 05-09-2002, 07:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Len's philosophy is working, though. My dealership is always sold out, now.