A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

A little (but not much more) information about my warranty call yesterday-->

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2002, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default A little (but not much more) information about my warranty call yesterday-->

I called the National Motorists Association yesterday and they knew nothing about an extended vehicle warranty. I was told by one of the helpful persons there that there is another organization in Missouri called the National Motorist Association, and that they do offer extended vehicle service contracts. I didn't have time to find their phone number yesterday, so I called the 800 "customer care" telephone number.
It turns out that this customer care number handles claims/roadside servicing for 2/3 other vehicle service contract companies.(the agent couldn't tell me which, she wasn't supposed to disclose that info)
As it turns out, this customer care center has just taken over the administration of vehicle service contracts (particularly this one), and she did not have all the pertinent information regarding the contract. Even though I had just signed on, I was in the database, but not completely processed. She was able to tell me what coverage I had, and it was the most complete coverage they had. It covers all electrical and mechanical parts and labor, 100%. All High-tech electronics, (airbags, abs and control modules and sensors) The only items not covered are trim/moldings and rubberized/consumable items. (meaning hoses, belts, tires, brake pads, etc.)
All hydraulics are covered, (steering, brake system hard and soft lines, calipers and wheel cylinders. CV boots and joints as well as transfer cases as well. Clutch linings are not covered.
The claims procedure is similar to the others, give the claims number to your mechanic, have the mechanic call before beginning repairs, the mechanic is paid by the claims center via a credit card number, minus my deductible ($25)
According to the sales agent, this warranty is the very same as one of the higher-priced vehicle service contracts, but they are not allowed (by law) to release the name as this contract. Since the contract has been directly marketed to me, they only charge the actual cost of the contract, plus a small percentage profit.
Also, according to the sales agent, I was contacted due to my inquiring about vehicle service contracts via the internet in the past.
(these people had my name, telephone number (home/work) and V.I.N. number, so I must've filled out some online application in order for them to get that info)
A strange tidbit: they only will take my initial deposit by check (they strongly advised against me giving my credit card number to anyone over the phone, particularly to any agency that solicits VSC's. The information changes hands in those agency's that my number could end up in anyone's hands and fraudulent credit card charges can result, and oftentimes does)
Either way, I should be receiving my enrollment package in the mail within 5/7 days. I have 30 days to review and cancel the agreement if I choose with a 100% refund to my checking account.
I will be researching some more today to see what else I can dig up. If I can't find anything, I may just have to wait until my package arrives.
I will keep everyone who is interested posted on my findings.
Old 06-20-2002, 05:18 AM
CEB
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Be careful! ......

...there are a couple of phrases in there that ring little bells.

First is the "we are required by law..." There is no law that prohibits them from disclosing the name of the service contract - actually, there probably is a law that requires them to disclose it.

The second tidbit is the stuff about being careful about disclosing CC numbers. This is a common ploy used by scam artists to make themselves sound legit AND to preclude you from requesting a chargeback from your CC company - once you've figured out you've been scammed it is too late to stop payment on the check.

VIN numbers are widely available - I get one or two solicitations (in the mail) for extended warranties - they are made to look official "IMPORTANT WARRANTY INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR LEXUS/GMC/CHEVY/AUDI INCLOSED" and "YOU MUST ACT NOW TO PREVENT YOUR WARRANTY FROM EXPIRING" and usually filled with stories of doom and gloom.

I'm also leery about a company that uses a name close to (what now appears to be) a legit organization.

Hopefully you are lucky and this works out well - at worst, you are out the $300 and have gotten your name on every scammers list - stay tuned for lots of phone calls.

The normal rule of thumb is to tell callers "mail me the information and I'll decide." If they won't do that then they are probably a scam.

I hope all works out and that my paranoia was unfounded. Please keep us posted.
Old 06-20-2002, 05:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, please do Jim. Thanks alot.
Old 06-20-2002, 06:31 AM
Elder Member

Great info. Thanks. What was the cost and milage again?
Old 06-20-2002, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Good points... I will take action right now-->

matter of fact, I think I shall stop payment on this check right now. I'm feeling skeptical enough to pull the plug on this deal. If there is a stop payment on the check, then they should call me back to find out what happened.
Old 06-20-2002, 06:42 AM
CEB
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have been known ....

...to be wrong once or twice.

It is just that all the pointers are there:

You must decide on the spot
No CC payments
Cheaper than others with very low deductible
Unknown company made to sound like a legit one
great sales pitch

further, a google search shows nothing of a "transnational motorist association" which is the company purporting to issuing this service.

Good luck.....
Old 06-20-2002, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I have also been known to make a mistake-->

but my own doubts, coupled with yours (and a few others people have e-mailed me) put them more in the negative than the positive.
I have already cancelled payment on the check number, if they are a legit organization, then they will contact me as to why. At this point, I will grill them relentlessly. It also will buy me some time. If they did in fact process my paperwork, then it should be in the mail already, and I should receive it shortly.