A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Looking to buy a 95 A6 Quattro - What should I look for?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2001, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy a 95 A6 Quattro - What should I look for?

Hey all,

I've pretty much decided to buy this 95 A6 Quattro 5 speed that I found. It's in really nice shape and seems to have been taken care of well.

It's got about 75k on the clock.

What mechanical things should I look for? What problem areas does the car have? Does this engine have a timing belt or a chain? What's the recomended mileage for a belt change? I'm assuming you have to run it on premium gas, too? What's the options for chipping it, or any forced induction? I'm going to drive it 25mi each way to work up and down the parkway, and while it seems to be a pretty capable car, I'd still like a little more power out of the engine.

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2001, 10:36 AM

Default A 95 S6 quattro

That's what you should look for. Unless you absolutely do not want a stickshift. The A6 2.8 12v is an absolute dog with regard to acceleration, though it can be made to handle very well.

The S6, however, has audi's smooth, dead-nuts-reliable 20V turbo inline 5 cylinder (timing belt changes every 60-90k, depending on who you ask, 60k is a good idea). This motor has 50hp over the 2.8, and with a simple chip adds another 50+hp (277+ total, easily over 300hp with a larger turbo and exhaust manifold).

This is the car you should really be looking at, unless you can't or don't want to drive a manual transmission. Otherwise it is a very special yet reliable, unstoppable car. The S6 was previously the S4 ('92-'94) and was only available in the US '95 and '95.5 ('96, really). '96-'97 models are available through Canadian import (not a problem). Cost is also an issue, these are hard to find much under $20k, though it is possible. For the typical $5k premium over the A6, it is a VERY worthwhile upgrade.

Try www.karquattro.com to see some examples. Look on autotrader.com or cars.com, yahoo and excite for more classifieds...

Good Luck!
Old 03-02-2001, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I call my 97 A6 Quattro "Heidi the Pigboat" if you want more power ....

get the S6. There are basically no improvments to be had in engine performance. All that is available is air filters, exhausts and cams. The cams cost a lot, will effect your emissions and the idle will get rougher and rougher as the HP increases. Plus they cost an arm and a leg in my opinion.

If lumbering around at 0-60 in 11 seconds drives you nuts don't get the car (actually that's my sedan with an automatic, I bet with a 5 speed you have the "Bullet"). The turbo 5 cylinder has a very good reputation for durability.

The car you are looking at has the 2.8 V6 12 valve engine not to be confused with the newer 2.8 V6 30 valve engine.

You may want to pose this question over at the Misc Forum, most of the wrench heads hang out over there.
Old 03-02-2001, 12:08 PM

Default Re: Looking to buy a 95 A6 Quattro - What should I look for?

Reliable, but watch out for small electrical stuff... it costs plenty. Quattro adds plenty of weight which really changes the car a lot... makes the brakes rather unsafe IMO, and the suspension gets a lot more wear. Suspension problems are somewhat common on the Quattro models. Added weight = more body roll, and a softer (perhaps slushy, if you will) ride. I have a FWD 100CS and it is almost like a different car, in subtle ways. The engine has power to spare; gearing is different, less body roll, and much better gas mileage (Quattro gas mileage isn't much to speak of).

Timing belt every 60-70k, along with a new water pump, tensioner pulley, serpentine belt, and thermostat.

O2 sensors will go bad sooner or later (80k+) and the cats are known to get plugged or go bad... if you use a dealer the cats are $3k to replace. Buying your own parts and going to an indy shop can get it done for $1k but still that repair hurts... O2 sensors are about $110 each if you use OEM sensors... a lot of people use the sensor without harness and solder or crimp the new sensor onto the old harness. The only people that tell me to do it this way are individuals... all repair shops say absolutely not, FWIW.

Just watch out... I wouldn't buy it unless you plan to get a warranty. Things <b>can</b> go wrong and if they do, they can add up quickly.

Performance-wise the 5-speed will be much better than the automatic... but like others said, the S6 is the performance king pre-MY 2000, and still stacks up well against the new A6 2.7T stick. Chip if you want will put you up to 290hp and in the 5.5 0-60 range. Fast enough for you?

A6 12v chip isn't available... if you wanted to get serious about adding power the conventional way, call <a href="http://www.vortrag.com/">Vortrag</a> at 810.756.4933... for about $3,500 I believe they can get an A6 up to about 230-240hp with custom heads, camshafts, polishing, exhaust, intakes, etc (call for info). The 5-speed can handle the added power for sure, but your resale value could/would be crushed on the major modifications...

Best of luck...
Old 03-02-2001, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

In case you are a newbie, Muhammad is the acknowledged KING of 12V A6s!!! Listen well...
Old 03-02-2001, 06:20 PM

KING? I think I just don't miss many of the C4/12v posts... that's all!
Old 03-02-2001, 08:05 PM

Default Re: Looking to buy a 95 A6 Quattro - What should I look for?

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I'm getting rid of a 95 Range Rover Classic (piece of crap, breaks every day, 10mpg, etc.) so anything would be a step in the right direction.

The A6 I am looking at is being sold by my friend's father who got it and decided not to keep it. (His wife didn't want the 5 speed.) They're asking $12k for it, which seems like a reasonable amount.

I probably wouldn't go crazy with mods to make it really fast (I'd just get another VW Corrado) but I like the idea of it being a cruiser that's able to move quickly and safely.

I'll mention some of the issues to them and see if they'll lower the price any...

Thanks again!
Old 03-02-2001, 08:34 PM

Default Price sounds fair/good if the car is good... look over every detail of the car before buying...

Just some spots I check first:

ALL electrical stuff: Power seats, radio, lock, RF (remote) or IR (infrared) system, all lights exterior, all lights interior, gauges, switches, etc. Everything.

Body condition: Those minor dents, scratches, flaws, etc. Look closely at the front bumper and see if it has been touched up (paint chips).

Check tires, condition of brakes, wheels for scratches or bends.

Check engine compartment... make sure the underside cover is in place (if you can see the ground when looking into the engine compartment, it isn't there), and check the bottom left corner of the engine (when looking down on it) for oil leaks... could be rings or gaskets... 12v models are known to have that problem also.

Make sure it has all books and papers with it... they can be a pain to get if not with the car.

Check the oil... the 12v does use oil, or burn oil... long story I could explain if the car is low on oil or if the owner mentioned that it uses some oil (do ask).

When you start the car, listen for valve ticking... first 3-5 seconds, usually after it has been sitting. Oil return valves could be bad if you hear the ticking... also listen for noise at idle, and at load.

Listen next to the left rear wheel while the car is idling... if there is a buzzing sound the fuel pump could need replacement. But then again, they often buzz, and can go for years in that condition, from what I hear.

Let the car sit at idle for a few minutes... maybe 5-10 minutes, with the heat or ac on... see how it purrs.

Also, when driving pay attention to the idle... if you feel surging, O2 sensors are probably kaput... you can feel it on the brake pedal on cars with automatics, but I'm not sure about the stick... you would notice it though. Check engine light doesn't have to go on when there is surging.

You might notice that there is a vibration when making tight turns. This is normal... Quattro at work.

Good luck...
Old 03-02-2001, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default A few commets..Muhammad, burn how much oil?

When you turn the ignition you should hear the fuel pump run for 5? seconds and then stop. You can't hear it when the engine is running.

When you start the car cold besides listening to the engine you should also look at the exhaust and make sure something "terrible" doesn't come out. Take a friend.

I have a 97 A6 and I'd be hard pressed to say it's an oil burner or that it even burns oil. I've only had the car four months, maybe she's getting ready to blow ! ;-)

Don't forget to feel and look at the leather. It should be soft and supple with a warm glow, not shiny. Shiny and hard with a "vinyl look" can sometimes mean the leather was treated with Armor All. Ask the owners what they used. Search the forum for "leather conditioner" to find more info.
I'm a Lexol user, I like it.

Take a powerful flashlight with good batteries and look under the car for traces of engine oil, transmission fluid(s), brake fluid, etc.
Old 03-03-2001, 05:17 AM

Default 1qt every 1,000-3,000 miles seems common...

My 100CS doesn't burn any but I suspect that some work was done on the engine when the car was young to correct a leaking problem. Just because so many 12v engines have this problem.

My A6 uses about 1/3 of a quart every 3,000 miles now... but it kind of varies.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a 95 A6 Quattro - What should I look for?