A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Looking for stock springs (or as close to stock height as possible)

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for stock springs (or as close to stock height as possible)

I'm looking to replace my entire suspension (struts/springs/control arms and/or bushings)

I see Blauparts has a pretty good deal on a complete strut kit.

However, I cannot seem to find stock springs anywhere online. All I see is "lowering" springs.

Anyone know where i can get stock height springs, or if I absolutely have to go with "lowering" springs, then what can I get that will do bare minimal lowering....
Old 11-25-2011, 12:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

What is wrong with your OEM springs? Springs don't wear and need replacing like struts.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

2nd. Leave them alone. Do all else.

G
Old 11-25-2011, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by n3985
What is wrong with your OEM springs? Springs don't wear and need replacing like struts.
Rears appear to be sagging...

i.e

rear is noticeably lower in height than front (probably a couple inches)

Doesn't that signify worn coil springs?

if it does, since i'm doing the struts, figured nows the time to do the coil springs.

Thanks for the help thus far!
Old 11-25-2011, 05:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

If the "sagging" in the rear is uniform with both sides at similar height it's more probable that your struts are so blown the rear is compressed and unable to hold car weight.

Otherwise only other explanation is northeast salt rusted your springs and they are cracked. But for both springs to crack is very unlikely...
Old 11-25-2011, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by n3985
If the "sagging" in the rear is uniform with both sides at similar height it's more probable that your struts are so blown the rear is compressed and unable to hold car weight.

Otherwise only other explanation is northeast salt rusted your springs and they are cracked. But for both springs to crack is very unlikely...
Maybe I'm misunderstanding how struts and springs operate.

To my knowledge, the struts job is to react and dampen compression/rebound caused by the cars upward/downward motion which is due to coil spring compression.

Now with that being said the strut has absolutely no part in the job of keeping the vehicle lifted. The strut itself could be completely removed and the vehicle's height/lift would not be affected at all, since that is not it's job.

Maybe I'm just thinking in the past too much (ie. my fathers beat up chevy) -- but even if the springs are not cracked, they do wear out eventually. Meaning they compression characteristics start to fail and eventually the vehicle starts to sag.

Would this be an accurate statement, maybe someone with far more knowledge then my own could elaborate?
Old 11-25-2011, 05:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You are correct, when my OEM struts blew I was still at normal ride height. So technically blown struts should not affect how your is sitting.

I only mentioned this scenario as in my mind modern springs almost never wear out unless damaged.

I'll also defer to others for their thoughts.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Unlikely...but. Shocks dont have a spring component. They simply oppose all movenemt, up or down.

However, the sachs shocks used in most C5s are gas-pressurized. So they actually have a small "air spring" component. I would venture its not more than 25 lbs, so its VERY small. If that's what you are talking about, maybe. Otherwise, no.

G
Old 11-25-2011, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

see my comment above. You are 100% correct, except for the side effect of gas pressurizing the oil in the struts, whcih is done to prevent aeration, but results in each shock being a BIG shock and a small spring.....

G
Old 11-25-2011, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Just Me
see my comment above. You are 100% correct, except for the side effect of gas pressurizing the oil in the struts, whcih is done to prevent aeration, but results in each shock being a BIG shock and a small spring.....

G
Thanks...

So, it seems like my initial assumption is correct. My coils are on their way out(or already). Not surprising, car's got 102k on the clock and was used for family transport for its whole life. I'm sure there were a lot of heavy load during that time.

What I do find amazing is that the only aftermarket coils are these "lowering" units -- jeez not everyone wants to look like a ricer or kraut. In fact i WANT my car with that "ugly" lift. I'll be making my ugly way through 12" of snow with no problem :=)

Quick Reply: Looking for stock springs (or as close to stock height as possible)